[v3.0] GuiCollisionService - Gui collisions done right

Correct, as of now it does not support AnchorPoint. v1.17.0 will have these updates in it! I am working on these features currently, new updates will be released soon!

This as well! :wink:

1 Like

you can use this for that :wink:

UI Collision (1).rbxl (255.9 KB)

3 Likes

Amazing thanks! I ll be sure to credit you! If I end up using it :slight_smile:

Great news!

Tomorrow, I will be posting the tutorial about making your first GUI Based 2 dimensional game on Roblox! And this module will be included in the tutorial, so you can check that out as well for some more use cases of the module!

Tutorial is Out: [Flappy Bird] Create your first 2 Dimensional Gui Based Game!

2 Likes

Update v1.16.3

Updated how OnCollisionEnded event is fired. It will not fire unnecessarily when hitters are not in touch with colliders.

2 Likes

Update v1.17.0! :tada:

Added ā€œsolidā€ property to :addCollider(), setting it to true makes it impossible for a hitter to go through a collider! Example:

new ā€ Made with Clipchamp

local GuiCollisionService = require(game.ReplicatedStorage.GuiCollisionService)

local group = GuiCollisionService.createCollisionGroup()
group:addHitter(guiInstanceHitter)
group:addCollider(guiInstanceCollider, true) -- To make it impossible for a hitter to go through the collider

Updated Source code

Updated Documentation

Special thanks to @RuizuKun_Dev without whom, this wouldnā€™t have been possible, after understanding the math, I was able to figure out how easy this was to implement! :wink:

I am working on a 2D RayCasting module to help you cast rays even when the rotation of the gui is not 0 for 2D projectiles. Stay tuned!

There are a few bugs to this, which I have been fixing, thanks!

3 Likes

If you would like to see similar updates to the Module, be sure to reply down below with your ideas!

Currently working on Tween Cancelling when the hitter collides with a Solid collider for some neat 2D physics! Will be out in v1.18 :wink:

This is amazing, I will be using this asset to replicate collisions on the 2D version of my custom particle system :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update v1.18

local addedHitter = group:addHitter(script.Parent.Hitter, { tween, tween2 })

addedHitter.index -- index of the hitter 
addedHitter.instance -- the instance that was marked as the hitter, here: script.Parent.Hitter

Updated Documentation

Updated Module

Updated Source Code

Testing placefile for Update v1.18: v1.18.rbxl (26.9 KB)

If you have any suggestions and ideas, be sure to reply below so that I update this module often!

4 Likes

If you have any questions regarding the update, be sure to ask me!

Does this work with rotated GUIs?

Unfortunately, this doesnā€™t always work with Rotated Guis, I am planning to implement that in the upcoming version, thanks!

Update v1.19

• Minor Bug fixes
  • Code cleanup
  • Added :updateCollider() function to update already existing colliderā€™s instance and solid property. View Docs
  • :addCollider() and :updateCollider() functions now return the collider that has been added:
local collider = group:addCollider(someInstance, true)

print(collider) -- {index: number, instance: instance, solid: boolean}

Updated Module

Updated Documentation

Updated Source Code

I have also been playing around with Gui Collisions when the guis are rotated, next update will consist of gui collisions even if the guis are rotated. :wink:

as suggested by @hboogy101

I wish to make 2D game development on roblox 10x times easier for you guys!

1 Like

this is pretty great, good job! will have to use this to make my gameā€™s GUIā€™s

Update v2.0

• Added :setZIndexHierarchy(boolean). The function is used to determine if the hitter will collide with colliders that have different ZIndex values. Setting it to true, will make the hitter not detect collisions with colliders that have different ZIndex value than the hitter. Setting it to false, will make the hitter collide with colliders no matter what their ZIndexes are. By default this is set to false. View Docs

• This feature can be used to create Slopes in 2D Games, slanting roads, caves, objects you canā€™t go through but can go behind and in front of them, by changing the hitterā€™s ZIndex. For example:

Updated Module

Updated Documentation

Updated Source code

1 Like

Update v2.01

• Added .isInCore() function. This function is used to determine if a gui object is completely inside of the area of another gui. This function returns true if a gui is completely inside of another, else it returns false. If guiHitterā€™s size is smaller than that of guiCollider, the function returns false. View docs

Video Examples:

(ignore the ā€œtooā€ misspell)

This works with tweens as well!

Example Code:

print(GuiCollisionService.isInCore(someHitterInstance, someCollider)) -- prints true if hitter is completely inside the area of the collider, else false

Use Cases

This function can be used to create Rhythm game scoring mechanics. For example a ā€œPerfect hitā€ or a ā€œMissā€

Like that of fnf or robeats:

Updated Module

Updated Documentation

Updated Source code

1 Like

Minor update to .isInCore(). It now works for rotated hitters as well!

1 Like

Update v3.0

After a fairly long wait. The update you all have been waiting for is finally out! (sorry for the long wait)

• This module now perfectly detects collisions for rotated Guis! How? Its fairly simple! With the concept of ray casting. Each point casts a ray on the x axis, if the ray intersects with any of the edges of the gui and if the point lies inside the gui object, both guis intersect! No matter what the rotation of the guis are!
Example Code for the video
local group = GuiCollisionService.createCollisionGroup()

--GuiCollisionService.

group:addCollider(script.Parent.Still, false)
group:addCollider(script.Parent.Still2, false)
group:addCollider(script.Parent.Still3, false)
group:addHitter(script.Parent.Move, {})

group:getHitter(1).CollidersTouched.Event:Connect(function(hits)
     group:getHitter(1).BackgroundColor3 = Color3.new(0.333333, 1, 0)
end)

group:getHitter(1).OnCollisionEnded.Event:Connect(function()
     group:getHitter(1).BackgroundColor3 = Color3.new(255,255,255)
end)

Currently this does not work with solid colliders as expected. But works perfectly otherwise! Will be added to solid colliders soon!

Updated Module

Updated Source Code

Hope this update helped a few! Alongside this, I am currently working on a 2D RayCast module for you all! Thanks!

(cc: @hboogy101)

4 Likes

Really good module! Keep up the good work! Hopefully, Iā€™m gonna use this for future project!

1 Like