(v1.0) Components - Simpler, smarter, modular components

I have to say I’m quite impressed with this as a framework for fast plugin development. Ideally I’d use Roact but as I was in a hurry, I thought I try out Components, and I had a fully-functioning plugin within about 2 hours (including design/planning).

I’ve actually stalked seen your Twitter and I’m very interested in “Fusion.” It looks like it could be a competitor for Roact but with a much nicer and cleaner API!

5 Likes

That’s awesome! It’s kinda funny that everyone seems to be using Components for UI - I originally designed it to be generic enough for use in all kinds of game systems, like item pickups and buttons and stuff like that.

I’m excited for Fusion too, btw! If or when I release Fusion, it should be a lot better suited to making UI. It’d probably replace this library, since there’s lots of other great techniques for dealing with item pickups and stuff already :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I understood the concept, but it really just seemed like a great framework for quick UI development. I personally don’t have any use that I can think of, at this time, for Components outside of UI.

I’m a Roact lover, but it just takes so long to get anything done with it. I can’t wait for Fusion; the syntax and API looks so clean and easy to use, and I’ll definitely be migrating some plugins and UIs over once that’s released. I may even try and integrate my BasicState library too, which currently supports Roact.

2 Likes

Wait a minute, so you are saying that it works exactly like Binders but it’s a standalone module and uses Configuration instead of CollectionService?

In a scenario where I switch from Binder to using this how much effort would it roughly take?

:open_mouth: what’s Fusion?!

You literally write a ModuleScript to represent the component, and pop a Configuration, with a matching name, inside any Instance that you want that component applied to (you need to tell Components where to look for your component modules and where to scan for Configurations). It’s that simple!

Fusion is @Elttob’s reactive UI framework that works a bit like Roact (but looks so much nicer). I’m really excited for it after seeing some screenshots and videos on their Twitter.

Do you mean like BindableEvents, or is this something else?

Sorry for the late reply, :stuck_out_tongue:

That is really cool, thanks for the explanation!