[v2.1.0] MatchmakingService - ON HOLD

So roblox made an update…

Instead of fixing the bug they went ahead and capped the size of sorted maps to 1kb. Which is just wonderful. I don’t know if there will be any good way to fix this.

It’s super unfortunate that it has come to this, but I’m not sure of any scalable way to make this service work with this limitation. For anyone wondering this is what the docs said before:

It’s just incredibly upsetting and I really don’t know what to do about it so I’ll detail some options and why they won’t work:

Switch to memory queues - While I would love to switch to memory queues, it’s not feasible. Memory queues are is a terrible position right now. One you add an item to the queue it will exist there until it times out or is read. This isn’t always a problem, but it means that there’s no way to dequeue players if they leave or want to get out of the queue. It’s honestly a joke how badly implemented memory queues are in their current state with pretty much no control over them.

Break the running games up when the limit is reached - This is not scalable and will exponentially increase the number of calls to the memory store, eating up your quota.

I only see one option and it’s what I’ll be working towards for the foreseeable future:

Save ids to the games in a single array in the memory queue and save games to their own map - This seems like it will be the only option. The problem is, with small-medium sized games the 1kb limit will still be an issue. Here’s why: 1KB is 1024 bytes. Each character is 1 byte in size. The id to identify the game is ~55 characters in length. 1024/55 = 18.6. This means that at any given time, you will only able to have 18 running games before the service starts to error. It’s just not scalable. I can switch to smaller unique ids (which I will, something like youtube’s base64 system) but even then, memory size is scarce and even if I could make a 1 character unique id you’d still only get up to 1000 games, which if your game has even 10000 players is still not enough. Honestly going back to MessagingService-based matchmaking systems might just be the only real solution, but those aren’t even scalable either because of the limits. There’s no good solution and this service has its back against the wall while roblox rips it apart.

It’s really upsetting to see them add this service (memory stores) that seems so good and new and a breath of life into possibilities… just to then impose limitations that make it useless. 1KB is nothing. The Xerox Alto, a PC from 1973 had 96x the amount of memory.

Anyways, rant over, I’ll see if any solutions are viable. If it’s not worth my time and effort to maintain and find a scalable solution then I may have to discontinue this project which would be really disheartening to me because of the work I put into it. And it would make me feel bad for anyone that currently uses it because it won’t work if their game ever gets to an even small-medium size. I’ll continue to ponder solutions, if you have any ideas don’t hesitate to share them with me.

Edit with some afterthought:
It may be possible to have multiple running games sorted maps with a counter of how many there are so we can loop over them. The main problem is that for each new sorted map you make, if you want to iterate over all games you’ve added an extra call to the memory store, which isn’t too bad and might be the solution to this. An additional call to it isn’t the best solution, but it’s a solution. And with the request quota giving you 100 requests per user per minute I don’t think it should impose any real downside (other than multiple calls to memory) and the quota should still be fine. I’ll look into implementing this asap.

5 Likes

How would I go about teleporting the players back to the lobby place? Would I use normal teleport service or is there a function?

Just use teleport service. Once you teleport all players out the game will close. Just make sure you have this in BindToClose:

game:BindToClose(function()
	MatchmakingService:RemoveGame(gameId)
end)

where gameId is the actual game id passed through teleport data

1 Like

Well I am giving the players the option to leave the game after it is over. For example a /hub command.

Version 3.3.0-beta is finally out after a week or so of testing (and even more for coming up with a decent way to do it… I haven’t seen any issues so far). This patch includes a long awaited fix for issue #4. This fix is still being monitored and if you notice any issues still with it let me know asap!

Version 3.3.0-beta

Changes (breaking):

• None

Changes (non-breaking):

• [Change] Players are now removed from queue automatically upon leaving, if they are in the queue.

Fixes:

• [Fix] Broke up the memory stores to bypass the arbitrary 1kb limit on a single key in the memory store map. This fix is being monitored.
3 Likes

I did a testing for this with around 700 people(not the new version this was about 1-2 week(s) ago) and here is what I found. The main issue I had was that the profile service did not load sometimes so people would get kicked/errored. Another issue is the issue #4 which I believe you said above. Another thing for me is I have absolutely no need for the rating part so if you could make an option to like disable that or a different version without it(since most of the issues stemmed from there I believe). Other than that it was fine but with those 2 issues in large servers it wasn’t really able to work for me but I am quite excited to see where it goes in the future.

1 Like

I have plans to be able to disable the rating system entirely via an option when using GetSingleton. As for the issue with #4, the update I made should’ve been able to get around that. Could you update me on if you’re still having the same issue on 3.3.0-beta? Would love to talk more in detail if you want to dm or add me on discord

Sure, I would love to talk to you on discord. You can add me at SkeletorAngel#7886

awesome i was making one too but your is better for internal use
a cool feature will be like SetPlayerRange per Rating type and PlaceId too

Multiple places and rating types for each places is planned, but it will take a small rewrite of some of the base code so I haven’t gotten to it yet. I’m still working on the new docs.

I changed your code but I don’t know if it will be optimized
QueueSettings = {[“ranked”] = {range = NumberRange(), Placid = :number}}

At line 375…

Service.PlayerRange = NumberRange.new(QueueSettings[mem.ratingType].Range.Max,…)

And I change placed in the code loops

If you wish to have your code changes implemented into the service, please fork the project on github and open a pull request GitHub - steven4547466/MatchmakingService. This makes version control and rollback easier.

I’ve released an update that allows you to disable the rating system entirely!

Version 3.4.0-beta
Changes (breaking):

• None

Changes (non-breaking):

• [Addition] Added an options table to GetSingleton. Right now the only accepted option is DisableRatingSystem which will disable the rating system, disable profile service, and everyone will be in the same queue pool.

Fixes:

• None

To disable the rating system, when you call GetSingleton, add {["DisableRatingSystem"]=true} into the parameters so it looks like this: GetSingleton({["DisableRatingSystem"]=true}). Make sure you do this on any place where you use GetSingleton in hub servers and game servers

Editing in a small patch:
Version 3.4.1-beta

Changes (breaking):

• None

Changes (non-breaking):

• None

Fixes:

• [Fix] Fixed an issue where you would get an error while queueing a player or party with the rating system disabled.

EDIT: So I’m pretty busy right now, but I’m doing a big change to this service that will improve everything for everyone. This will include:

• Removing ProfileService entirely and just using datastores directly (this will completely get rid of wait time exceeded issue)
  • Switching from glicko-2 (which has a few issues with farming volatility) to OpenSkill.
  • Multi-place support
  • A data folder of some sort that will replicate after teleporting to the game server.
2 Likes

That is amazing, thank you so much for everything you’re doing for the community. We really appreciate all the hard work! :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! I do have a really big update planned, but I’m doing my finals for college so that should come sometime after the 15th which is the last day of my semester. It will fix some long standing issues and add capabilities that I’ve wanted to add for a while like supporting multiple places and getting rid of ProfileService.

4 Likes

Really looking forward to that, multiple places will be an awesome edition along with the other new capabilities. Again, thank you so much for what you’re doing for the community.
But right now: good luck on your finals - a talented guy like you will absolutely kill that exam! :grin:

This is amazing! I have a few questions about the system though.

Do you think you will consider more than 2 teams for ranked matches?
Is there a way to access the ranking data so we can maybe put a leaderboard or something?
What other parameters other than “ranked” are there for queueing ? Can we like customize how a different gamemode (like “draft”, in your example, If we want another type matchmaking)

Definitely will be using this for future projects, and thanks for the time and effort you have put into this :slight_smile:

Next update, yes

You can get their glicko object using GetGlicko, but be warned, next update will remove Glicko, and this function won’t be available anymore. I recommend not doing anything with this until I can update it.

Anywhere where you see the string "ranked" you can actually put any string there. All that does is get separate values from each other which can allow you to have multiple types of gameplay. This is also getting a massive overhaul in the next update.

Basically, you should wait for the next update. The last day of my college semester is tomorrow, so I can work on it after that day. The update will be breaking and not backwards compatible, but it’s going to be for the best. I will be removing the profile service dependency and adding a ton of planned features.

3 Likes

Great, thanks for the info :slight_smile: Can’t wait for the update!

I’ve started writing the update, expect it in a few days, it will be a pretty large breaking update so a lot of stuff will be rewritten

3 Likes