Versioning Models with 3D Importer

Brilliant, love to hear that :pray:

Wonderful!
I am quite new to modelling and that will definitely make my life a little easier.
I’m very glad Roblox has been rolling out a lot of great updates recently that makes our life easier.

Question:
Will Roblox ever add a feature that allows you to split your mesh if it’s too big(above 10.000 tris) in Roblox instead of doing it manually in modelling software which is a lot of times a painful process to do?

Otherwise than this I think Roblox is making a great step forward in terms of helping developers with various things(If we don’t count some obviously horrendous updates as is the example of the UGC limited update)

Sincerely,
Felipe

2 Likes

So basically…

• If I have lots of the same mesh model around the map and I want to update it (for example, holiday events), I can quickly just do that?

• This will clear up the Explorer page and just show one mesh part?

Correct me if I’m wrong and/or assure me if I am correct.

1 Like
  • Yes, updating a Model with MeshParts should be faster. I recommend checking out our docs on Packages for a more in-depth explanation of how they work!
  • Your Explorer page will still show all the Instances (so if you had like 5 trees, you’d still see 5 tree models in Explorer), but you would only see one asset in your Toolbox/Asset Manager.
3 Likes

Splitting the mesh hasn’t been discussed yet, mainly because a) it causes the structure of the imported model to change, which might be confusing, and b) we have simplification algorithms that bring down the mesh to the limit. Also, the limit is now 20,000, through this importer.

2 Likes

What is the use case of this? Couldn’t you just run a for loop in the command bar to replace mesh id’s?

It’s not just mesh IDs, but the whole model that is versioned. For example, you can version changes you make to the joints of an imported rig.
Also, packages aim to make asset reuse and versioning a simpler process. It supports reverting to older versions, auto-update of other instances of the asset, etc. and prevents you from having a new Model asset every time you need to upload a new version. Of course, all of this can be done manually or through some code in the command bar, but this provides a simpler interface!

3 Likes

Any plans to make it so we can update the actual MeshID itself?

1 Like

I have recently encountered a bug where the pivot isn’t set

Usually, when importing a mesh with “Insert Using Scene Position” and “Set Pivot to Scene Origin” selected, everything works as intended.
Though when I select the “Merge Meshes” option along with the aforementioned scene options, it doesn’t seem to work. The scene position and pivot are NOT set and do not transfer over when “Merge Meshes” is selected.
When “Merge Meshes” isn’t selected the pivot is perfectly fine.

With Merge Meshes

Without

Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.