Vertexed Color Model in blender to roblox studio

Hello developers! I am Pyrotenics, a modeler. I am wondering how to do vertexed color in blender to roblox. I’ve made other stuff instead of vertex color. I want to use vertex and I am not sure how to use vertex color.

What is vertex color in blender?

• Vertex Color is coloring in blender and when exporting, you don’t need textures.

I need ideas or any solutions how to do so.

3 Likes

Last time I tried it, you could just import the model and it would work. I’m not sure if that still works though.

This is correct. When you boot up Blender’s vertex painter and start brushing on the model, it automatically creates a vertex color group. When you export the model as a .fbx, the colors will automatically be added.

11 Likes

I can confirm that vertex colors are also imported (if they’re applied correctly, of course.)

Make sure you’re exporting it as an .fbx, since .obj files don’t support vertex colors (or if they do, they aren’t imported by Roblox)

1 Like

I am pretty sure you do need textures. Before exporting to Roblox, you have to bake the texture; this helped me quite a bit with that issue. I do not believe ‘Vertex Color’ is sufficient. Therefore, I recommend you check out the hyperlink, and hopefully, this helps you.

I think maplestick demonstrated proof in their reply that you don’t need textures to have vertex colors.

I can see. But I believe I did say,

I do not believe ‘Vertex Color’ is sufficient.

But thank you for the heads-up, I already precautioned.

It definitely depends on your purpose, though. Here’s a tweet by crykee where he shows how he used vertex colors:

And as I recall the book from great yolktails was colored with vertex colors.

(and forgive me for misreading your reply, I guess. You said this, after all:)

By default, no. There is an unofficial format variant of .obj which adds the RGB values on the same line as XYZ values for vertices, but I doubt Roblox supports it.

1 Like

How would we use this on a tool? Would it be the same as coloring.

I think “Vertex paint”. Click edit mode on the left, go to vertex paint. would work.

How would I load/make the textures? Like how to bake them.

If the tool you mentioned is a model, then yes, you can color it.

So for a invidual part, I may rgb it with vertex, then combine it all together? Or is it each face.

I think there’s a bit of miscommunication. Textures are images, whereas vertex colors are rgb values linked to the individual vertices of a mesh. You don’t need textures to load vertex colors into studio.

Also for future cases, please answer everyone in a single reply instead of creating one for each user.

2 Likes