[Video] Feedback on Level/World - Mt. Snowball | PB & Jay

For feedback, I’m open to anything really. Environment design, level design, animation, sound design, etc. I do not yet have custom background music for this level, but I hope to work on that as soon as possible.

Game link: PB & Jay - Roblox. Note that you must complete the tutorial level first. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hmm maybe yeah like you said, it needs some background music. Oh and also maybe change the font for dialogue and other stuff.

I like that font (forgot what it’s called since I haven’t been on studio in a while lol) but maybe changing it up for some UI would be nice in my opinion

Wait one more thing, if it’s not a hassle, maybe you should change the running animation so the pig’s head bobs and is more natural. It looks kinda weird without those lol

1 Like

The font is called Fredoka One. For consistency’s sake, I kept the font all the same throughout, but I’m not opposed to using a different font. But, I don’t think a different font should entirely replace the “main” font I use (Fredoka One).

For the dialogue specifically, I see how big or bold the font is. So, I think I prefer a “smaller” or less bold font for the text here.

Fredoka One font

Patrick Hand font (Bold in some parts). This one is easier on the eyes, but it also feels “swished” together.

At first I thought you meant walking animation, so I updated that one. But then I re-read so I decided to update both the walking and running animations. The running animation didn’t have head bobbing much at all, so thanks for pointing that out. :grin:

Running Animation:

I’m not sure how to loop in markdown, doesn’t seem to be a thing. So I recommend looping the above video manually.

Walk Animation:

For both, I changed Linear (in) to Linear (InOut) and made the bobbing more noticeable. I wonder if that’s enough to make it feel more realistic or if I should Rig the model in Blender and start from scratch.

1 Like

Yea it definitely looks better with Patrick Hand. Not much else for me to say here

No problem! But I cant tell if it’s just me or the new running animation is just subtly bobbing. I’ll check out the game if you’ve already updated it to see if it’s bobbing more in game

The new walking animation has more life and energy so :+1:

1 Like

I’m working on a new world/level for the game, so I haven’t published the changes. I’ll update the running animation’s bobbing to be more drastic (won’t be published/public for maybe a week). Not a you thing, my bad. :sweat_smile:

Hmm lemme give you some suggestions:

One, maybe you should add a leaderboard. I dunno, maybe to encourage players to keep playing to rank up

Two, maybe an interactive tutorial would be cool

Three, if you want you could probably add badges

And finally, maybe like different outfits if you think it suits the lore i didnt see the shop in the (main map?), I see it now

1 Like

Apologies for the length in advance…

I assume you mean per-world/level. If so, I think that’d be nice and incentivize speed running. I’ve given this a ton of thought. Golden Toast (the main collectible) are not currently re-collectable on the same save-file, but that can be changed for an in-game speed running system. My only drawback, other than time, is exploiters. I wouldn’t want someone to climb to the top by cheating.

I remember seeing a YouTube video where someone combatted cheaters in their game by showing a “natural?” curve. I can’t recall enough about it to find the video.

I know the Stars Align Demo game has leaderboards for its levels, but they reset data and leaderboards. I don’t want to do that. I also wouldn’t want to manage a speed running category or team to ban submissions or anything like that (that’s how Speedrun.com works I believe).

I’ve thought a lot about tutorial design. This video has been REALLY helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG4Yy-1G-wc. In short, my tutorial needs to Teach, Comfort, Excite, and Respect the player.

I think my use of these “cards” -as I call them- teach and respect the player, but I wouldn’t say they “excite” or “comfort” the player. The level design of the tutorial is mostly linear with various guides (such as a physical arrow, paths, and other ways of directing the players eye). Those last things likely comfort the player because of the sense of direction. And, the gameplay itself being the tutorial (as much as possible), I hope, excites the player. That’s my defense for removing the longer dialogue.

I’m of course open to any ideas on improving the tutorial. You do mention the word “interactive”, so I wonder where I could make that happen that it doesn’t already.

I made a DevForum post where you can see a video of the older tutorial. It’s a bunch of dialogue. I also made a Twitter thread about tutorial design with other video I’ve watched on the topic.

I plan to have badges for collecting all Golden Toast in each level. There will be 6 worlds that a free for everyone, a DLC world, and a Premium world. There’s also a badge for joining the game, and playing with a friend. I used to have a list of badge ideas on my Trello board for the game, but it appears I deleted it. I’m open to ideas.

I think having a badge for completing everything (non-DLC and premium) is good as well as a badge for trying on (and/or buying) a cosmetic item.

no worries, I'll keep the old reply I had under this dropdown:

There’s a cosmetics shop in the game, but only 8 items IIRC. I’m thinking about making a cosmetic item for each world that the player will unlock after collecting each golden toast for that world. I could also add a cosmetic that can be bought with robux and one for premium users.

Also, the game doesn’t really have lore. I could use the excuse that I wanted to focus on gameplay -because that is core to the heart of the game- but, being honest, I don’t know how to write a good story here. That’s usually done when making a game design doc, not a little past halfway through development. The only way for me to get better is to try over various projects and research. Which, I’ll do, but I don’t want to risk it for this project.

Most everything else is great to me. I’m fine with reviewers and whatnot saying my game lacks story. I know that and I don’t want to restart everything to make a cohesive and well-thought-out story. Nor do I want to make a botched story.

1 Like

Nah it’s alright, just gonna take me a while to respond to everything lol

It would get players to keep trying to get a faster time. And with this you’ll also get people posting speedruns which’ll bring more attention to your game!

Yeah that seems kinda hard to figure out so I don’t really have any comments or ideas

And you gotta get their attention fast, since lots of people have short attention spans now

Hm I don’t really have many ideas about how to spice up the cards. You’ll probably have to get someone else’s feedback on that

I didn’t really think of anything that could’ve made a tutorial interactive, I kinda just said it. Again, ya might have to ask someone else for some feedback on that

Maybe like stuff like:

• BETA Tester
  • Completed X World!
  • You Completed the Tutorial
  • New Speedrunner (first speedrun)
  • To The Top! (got on the leaderboard)
  • Met the Owner (self explanatory)
  • Coin Milestones (100 Coins Collected, etc)
  • Supporter (donated)
  • Played for X time (self explanatory)
  • Traveled X Studs While Y (X is the amount of studs and Y is the movement that was being performed such as digging)
  • “Destroyed” X amount of Y (X is the amount of animals “destroyed” and Y is the animal / mob)

you could probably brainstorm more easily

Oh and by the way

I didn’t realize that the health bar was even the health bar, maybe add like a plus icon or a label that says health to make it more obvious

1 Like