Volumetric Clouds: Phase 2!

So really great looking cloud,I’ve seen you use stacked part,Which is beautiful but any idea on how to increase the performance because it’s quit laggy on my end,Anyway to reduce the part count?

1 Like

Yeah, but you could probably find a way to substitute that for parts, if you’re clever.

1 Like

Looks nice! Thanks for this

R E A L

Um… clouds? Where are you going

7 Likes

I believe you could significantly reduce lag by using ImageHandleAdornments instead of parts, since they’re only suppose to display images. I tested it and saw no noticeable lag, but my machine is pretty good so that doesn’t say much. You can download my implementation and test its performance out here: CloudsRenderer.rbxm (4.6 KB).

EDIT: Finally compared the performance of the two methods. ImageHandleAdornments are indeed WAY faster.

10 Likes

Haha. I love weird bugs. Ill be fixing that in phase 3! Thank you for alerting me.

3 Likes

In phase 3 (Coming sometime this week) I plan to reduce the lag by nearly 100% to make it fully useable. Phase 3 will also contain several other properties for lag reduction, and a ton of new other cloud types for maximum customization.

5 Likes

The one that this module uses is “basically” that but it uses images I believe instead. Either way, parts or images, its impossible to get it to look as good as Sebastian League’s clouds.

2 Likes

UPDATE: Phase 3 is aimed to release friday at 7 PM Est

2 Likes

If it’s not too much work, I would suggest rewriting your module to implement perlin noise cloud generation. This could allow for random 3D clouds and octaves, to make more or less detailed clouds! If you don’t do it, I will… :wink:

1 Like

It Impacts performance quite a lot. Phase 3 has the intention of having fully immersive clouds which wont effect performance, which will boost the immersivity of the users experience. My goal is to have the CloudsService be completely customizable, and have much more freedom.

2 Likes

Its so good:

My PC is on his limits

2 Likes

Update: I’m now attempting to make a version that uses Perlin Noise and ParticleEmitters to replicate more 3D clouds. Wish me luck.

3 Likes

Hey! I wish you luck. However, here are a ton of places you will get stuck at…

• Particles only have a certain viewable distance
  • Using parts for large clouds will look blocky even if they are small or circular
  • Roblox hates generating new Instances.
  • Lots of parts will lag a ton

Hope you resolve these! Wish you luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah. I got about 4 hours in, realized all of this, and then switched to using Roblox’s “Dynamic Skies” beta feature. Not to be rude, but it does look better than this system, for the reason that it’s more customizable and less “flat” looking.

1 Like

This is cool, Is there going to be a way to change the cloud types while in-game, Also are you planning on adding more cloud types like one where there are no clouds for a sunny day?

Sorry if this may seem stupid, but how do you exactly use the module? the explanation in the previous post made no sense to me and i dont seem to know how to use it.

You can use partcache

I like this system a lot more, it looks 10x better although it’s not as optimized lol

EDIT: This doesn’t look good, ok?

The difference is that I don’t have the same degree of control. On Roblox’s clouds, I can customize the density and cover, which has big impacts on the generation. I can make a huge cover of very light clouds, or a tiny amount of dark clouds. Heck, these clouds are copied parts. Roblox’s clouds seem more random. Also, the clouds do look pretty bad. But they’re only in phase 1A, cut Roblox some slack.

I have this odd issue. May be an oversight on my part. Any ideas?

Unfixable problem on everyone’s end. No matter what kind of custom cloud system you will try to create, it will be ruined by roblox’s terrible transparency rendering, so beams/textures/imageadornments, possibly not with surfaceguis but that would be too heavy on performance.

If you want to keep on using this system then my suggestion is to decrease the tallness and density, and preferably add Atmosphere with a higher density value (about 0.2-0.3). This won’t fix it but might make it hardly noticeable