Want to know what Interactable does

Hello Dev’s, I can’t recall if I have ever seen this Propertie before on a GuiBase object “Interactable”, and was wondering what does it do? There is no description about it on the Documentation.
This is on every GuiBase object as far as I can tell.

4 Likes

According to Release Notes 589, The GuiObject.Interactable property will determine whether or not a player is allowed to interact with that GuiObject.

Currently, it is not officially released (*so even though it appears there, it might not function as intended yet), but it was mentioned by a Roblox Staff Member that there may be a public announcement when it’s enabled and becomes available for everyone to use.

2 Likes

does this mean that Interactablewill not emit any rbxscriptsignal events anymore? That would be incredibly good news when quickly disabling a table of buttons for example.

Very likely that the event listeners will no longer be “active” when Interactable is set to false, but to know the specifics with certainty, we’ll need to wait for documentation on the feature and / or its official announcement.

What’s the difference between *Interactable and Active? I’m presuming that active ignores actual input, and interactable doesn’t fire events that would if you interacted with it?

Do you think, this would improve the performance a bit if you’d set this property to false for buttons which are just there for decoration?

Oh right, sorry for the delay in reply, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good question, I hope so, that would be very handy!

I’m not fully sure, but I think Active means if the GuiBase Object is sort of the same as Interactable, meaning if GuiBase Object has Active false, then any GuiBase Objects behind that GuiBase Object with Active false, will be Interactable, so like Buttons, put a Farame in front of it with Active false, you will still be able to trigger that button.

There wouldn’t be much Performance difference either way, but why have a Button that isn’t a button?.. Why not make a Frame look like the “fake button”?

Unless there has been more information shared about the property since last August, we don’t know what all of the differences are between Interactable and Active other than what was mentioned by the Roblox Staff Member in the thread for Release Notes 589.

I haven’t done any testing for that before but I’d imagine that could result in a very very very very small performance boost. It probably wouldn’t be significant enough to be noticeable unless you had tons and tons of decorative buttons, but it’s something that would be good to try anyway since it would also offer a clearer indication as to which buttons are meant to have functionality and which aren’t while you, or anyone else you may be working with, are editing the game.

However, if it’s completely meant for decoration and not meant to appear like a button to the player, it would probably make more sense to use a different GuiObject such as a Frame or a TextLabel, but of course it depends on how you’re utilizing the non-functional buttons for your game.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.