Ways to prevent DDOS attacks on games?

Roblox Customer Service will typically reply with no real help, usually giving resources that don’t relate to the issue at hand. Sending them a support request would mean waiting 3 days for a reply, only to receive what looks like an pre-typed or automated message from them.

Although plugins may be a source, there is probably a remote somewhere that is causing the issues. Recently, I found out that the segway in the BAE 2.0 script was causing major exploiting issues in my game, but only because we used that segway as one of our gamepasses. Make sure that all of your remotes don’t give any leeway for exploiters to do anything (meaning that you give as little information as possible in the remote and checking all of the information again on the server) and be sure to check any tools that you use in your game for any potential remotes. Ideally, tools should be controlled using LocalScripts as much as possible so that there is little room for any exploiters to take advantage of that.

3 Likes

I don’t believe its possible for there to be DDOS attacks on roblox games. They are most likely using a remote event in your game to make everyone in the server lag.

2 Likes

But Roblox Customer service is also still improving a lot so ye.

1 Like

That’s 100% a crash script, not how roblox ddosing works.

1 Like

You need to find the vulnrability works and then patch it yourself.

1 Like

To what I’m thinking, your game may have a replication/other remote that the exploiter took advantage of to overwhelm the server.

This is definitely not a DDoS attack. You probably have a severe security vulnerability. Have you been using free-models or virus plugins? If that’s not the case, it might be an unsecured remote-event that can be easily spammed.

2 Likes

Despite what people are saying, I’m pretty sure DDOS attacks are possible in Roblox.
There are multiple ways to do this, from oversights on the developer to just issues with roblox.

People are able to get the IP from the server they just visited by checking their logs, and with that IP they can use a stresser to shut the server down.

Of course, it’s likely not that, and its probably someone abusing your remotes in game to lag and eventually cause the server to hang. Make your your remotes have proper debounces for each player so they can’t spam it.

1 Like

Yes, DDoS attacks are possible on Roblox. It happened to my game before, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Either the attacker gets bored and stops doing it, or you ban enough of his alts that he stops. They somehow use an external third-party to grab the server IP that the server is running on, then they continuously send a lot of packets to the server causing the server-ping to sometimes even reach over 10,000 ping. The server needs to be shutdown to be playable again, which takes a while considering It’s being attacked.

What I’ve heard is that they run the program even before their character fully loads, catching you off-guard and making the chances of you being able to kick him very low.
They mostly target small games with around <200 players, easier to drop servers and ruin the experience.
I hope Roblox will eventually take a look into this and possibly release a patch.

11 Likes

DDOS attacks are 100% possible on roblox.

4 Likes

Yes, a long time ago I asked Roblox some question about moderation, and they directed me to their careers webpage…

1 Like

Banning ALTs does not help, a hacker does not need to be in-game to be get a servers IP and then send attacks to it.

2 Likes

They need to connect to the client to be able to send the packets. You cannot externally do it.

1 Like

No one sends data directly from their PC, they all use indirect data which means that they don’t generally have to be in game to do it. They just need to join to get the server IP then they can leave.

3 Likes

ddos attacks are remote, not from the game. people send packets to the roblox gameserver by either using the roblox api for gameservers or the ip. ddos attacks are not solvable and roblox deals with them.

Roblox actually doesn’t deal with them. The server just hangs and everyone is in a state of almost a frozen game with only them being able to move.

I am guessing this is some sort of memory overflowing. If you have any events that require a table to be put through (and save this table in a variable on the server) make sure the table is under a certain size.

These “Hackers” Could just be firing one of your Remotes with a bunch of “龘” (This Japanese thingy is really big in file size (3 Bytes). So if they filled a table with a ton of these and sent it to your remote where this table is set as a variable on the server it could lag setting it to the variable or grabbing from. Causing the server to lag.)

If you have stuff that are set in Server ensure that the thing being grabbed string count or anything is under a certain amount. To ensure overflow attacks don’t happen. I COULD BE WRONG so dont correct me thanks.

It’s not somehow…this is how they do it (using Windows):

1. Open the Roblox client and then enter a game.
  2. Open a elevated command prompt.
    a. Type the following command: netstat -b
    b. Look for RobloxPlayerBeta.exe
    c. Note the IP address(es) that the client is connected to.
  3. Put IP address(es) in your DDOS software, botnet, or whatever and launch.

That’s how they do it. No real big secret.

1 Like

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/server-ddos-attacks-becoming-problematic/1072624/230?u=delusionisms

Just read this and you’ll see the massive issues there is with DDoSing

Here’s a history lesson.

Way back in 2000 or so, a 15 y/o kid in Canada going by the handle MafiaBoy invented the first botnet. Turns out he hacked computers, routers, and other devices that were connected to the internet. Then in about February of that year, he unleashed it. He took down several very popular and high profile websites at the time…including Yahoo!, Visa, and a few others. Denial of Service attacks were common, but a Distributed DOS attack was something fairly new.