We’re updating Heads!

I agree that having this feature is a good thing.

But this simply isn’t true.

This is what we want. I don’t think anyone really has an issue with this update in of itself. The real issue comes down to the fact that it’s forced, and it seems that we may completely lose out of classic faces.

As I said in my first post:

27 Likes

i’m really not a fan of big parts of roblox history/culture becoming unavailable in favor of strange new gimmicks that hardly anyone will use. at least give us the option between the two.

31 Likes

Hey, I just got a Kinect today!

I’m unsure if this is gonna be made for Xbox One (last model with the Kinect), because the Kinect has had some… failures.
But hackers can try to access your camera, so I dont think this is a good idea to be honest.

11 Likes

“If you look at the dev forums, you will see many opinions about Rthro and how we are compelling people to use it, but it’s just an option that we provide. Nobody is making you give up your old blocky avatar.

This is an exact quote from Roblox’s Vice President of Product on January 28th, 2022 given directly to Newsweek and other publications.

96 Likes

Can you please not just put classic faces off-sale? the facial animation faces dont work in r6 and plus some people probably dont want their faces moving

33 Likes

Okay seriously, I really want that Ro-Crack you guys are smoking, I think it’ll help me out tremendously.

Sure, facial animations are cool and all, but maybe try not to remove a beloved feature and force a new alternative onto players? If you care so much about users expressing & customizing themselves to any extent (which is the core part of the “metaverse”), maybe don’t arbitrarily take numerous faces millions use off sale?

Then again, the higher ups are just out of touch corporate boomers. Every strive to “work with the community” is just hollow bullshit at this point..

48 Likes

Looks like Roblox’s VR ‘metaverse’ arc is almost ready to start. That’s what the face tracking and other recent updates like DragDetectors, voice chat and Oculus Quest support seem to be hinting at.

10 Likes

It seems like a lot of people have problems with these heads with accessory alignment. When will we ever get the ability to tweak the fit of our accessories? This isn’t even on the roadmap, and AFAIK Roblox hasn’t even acknowledged this ask.

27 Likes

Honestly… I am not sure I like this.

Other faces (Man Face & Woman Face) that have facial features simply don’t feel the same like their decal counterparts. It sucks to see these beloved and classic faces get removed and transitioned without any warning. Decal faces are something that make roblox, well, roblox.

Removing such a feature is sad, and really unnecessary.

What about special faces?
Like the zombie face, stare face, puppy face, and faces with lips etc.

24 Likes

If anything, just like what people have said, it should more-so coexist with the classic faces, but again the platform doesn’t have thought or consideration when making updates at points.

19 Likes

I don’t think new player bought classic faces so

9 Likes

I prefer dynamic heads over classic faces, but I dislike that not all classic faces are available as dynamic heads. Dynamic heads also need to look at least 90% similar to their classic face counterparts.

10 Likes

I know this update would be coming about eventually, but the idea still seems slightly out-of-place. How did a simple game where we had blocky avatars, turn into semi-realistic avatars which we can control using our cameras?

:wut:

11 Likes

I hope this system is opened up to UGC creators :slight_smile:

But instead of having it be just a set number of facial expressions in a package… what about splitting it apart into a customizable “expression slots”?

So players could mix and match a wide arrange of faces and expressions if they want to (such as an anime type face with big shiny eyes for their default smile… and then a big angry glowing red eyes face for frown).

It would lack tweening between the expressions / poses. But if you added in a little bit of deformation to parts, it could give an effect of tweening half way with one face before snapping to the other… not perfect, but enough to make it seem smoother.

Anyhow, that’s my idea for how to really make this feature shine :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Why is Roblox trying to kill classic faces while only a fraction of them are converted to this new dynamic head system? We still have classic clothing despite the catalog of new clothing being significantly fleshed out. These features can happily co-exist.

Pulling all of these classic faces off-sale is nothing but forced adoption, which makes no sense given all of these faces aren’t even converted yet, and the technology is fundamentally not backwards compatible with different faces on different head shapes. Users who have an inventory of classic faces and classic heads will now forever have significantly more customization options than new users.

58 Likes

im assuming the people who made these dynamic heads weren’t able to try this with any accessories related to the placement of the eyes

26 Likes

They most definitely didn’t, and we are the ones who are gonna pay for that factor in the long run.

8 Likes

trash

34 Likes

Also why were classic head faces remade with a higher price range? why?
Why are free faces now 120 robux?

41 Likes

Don’t know why. Perhaps they feel the need to increase the price to show how valuable this is, or something?

7 Likes