What are the advantages and disadvantages of Unions?

Hello I am Aidan Plays!!. I was wondering what the advantage of unions are and what the disadvantages are and what projects unions are best with.

Unions are very useful when you’re aiming to create something advanced for a showcase or portfolio, but you should definitely try to reduce the amount of unions when creating a common game for casual players - unions cause immense lag.

1 Like

The parts in a union shouldn’t have scripts or children because when you “union” them together, the children of the data model will be hidden. Also, you should only use basic parts for unions. If you try to do something complex and it has more than 5,000 triangles, it won’t load at all. They are also limited to one color and texture. Also, you can only uniformly resize it… you can’t, for instance, make one side of a triangle union longer. Those are mostly all limitations of unions.

1 Like

Hi Aiden!

Unions are quite good if you’re either looking to make something quick and snazzy or good if you don’t how to use 3d modelling software such as blender.

Some of the downsides are:
You can’t change the scale of the object with out scaling all 3 dimensions
You can’t change the material

Tip: If you’re going to use unions to cut something out I reccomend that you use the CSG Part cutter plugin.

1 Like

You can change material, and color too if you enable UsePartColor in properties.

2 Likes

The main thing about unions is that they allow you to create advanced shapes by using negative parts. It doesn’t require much effort and are pretty easy to make if you’re making simple things, like bowls or plates.

The downside of them is that not only do they lag, they are easily corruptible.

3 Likes

They think it’s fun to delete themselves right before you put out a game and you basically have to start out again.

But they are easier to make certain certain shapes with, like I wanted to make a taco and It was to confusing in blender so I made it in about 1 minute in studio with negative parts and unions, my advice is when using unions, if you are sure that you want that as the final product export them as a .obj file and then re-import them into a mesh part. You will still have your union but it will be a nice, none-performance ruining mesh.

3 Likes

Unions

Unions have their pro’s and cons.

Pro’s;

Less parts to possibly reduce lag in certain areas
Easy to put together in tools for example if you wanted to weld something easier and you wanted to use unions.

Con’s

Unions have no children so you would have to use a model
You can resize the union without scaling all dimensions concurrently.
Unable to change the colour while unioned.

The overall result of unions over lots of builders are they can be usefull in some situations, mostly people decide to stick with modeling lots of things if they need to.

1 Like

Hmm… At least when I tried it it wouldn’t let me change it. I’ll edit my reply though - thanks.