What are you working on currently? (2017)

This just looks awesome

Walkspeed feels a bit sluggish imo.

Also, unless you’ve just got really bad aim, but it takes you a really long time to kill people…

1 Like

Yeah, we’re aware. If you’ve played ARMA, the game has different modes of walking- this is the direction we’re going towards for the RPG/MIL-SIM aspect of our game. This is just us testing it out.

Of course, for the fast paced arcade mode (what we’re showing now), we’ll keep it restricted to just 1 walk and it won’t feel sluggish.

Gun stats haven’t been configured yet, but different body parts take different damage. It’s really spongy right now because damage is set pretty low. Won’t be a problem.

1 Like

Thanks !!

Soft shadows my dude!

Added A LOT more here

9 Likes

Starting to look nice!

One more tip: I know you’re not able to get the specular/diffuse textures of the materials back in these screenshots, but one thing you could try is to modulate the intensity of the specular depending on the material of the object. So for example, if the object is grass or wood, then the specular could be modulated down a lot. This would make i.e. the tree seem less glossy/plastic-like (assuming the leaves of the tree aren’t smoothplastic in the original).

I’m not actually entirely sure what I’m doing. I know that it’s in general brighter than I want, but I’m not completely sure how to solve that.

Something I’m planning on doing is ambiance occlusion and after that perlin noise for simple textures.

Maybe add a specular modifier based on the material to determine how reflective certain parts should be?

1 Like

Are you using the Phong Shading formula for your raytracer? I can show you over DMs sometime and explain how you can change parameters depending on hit material to make the specular more/less intense. It’s not really difficult to do so, you basically just need a table with specular coefficients for each material and then plug the right one into the formula, etc.

I’m not sure what that is but I’d love to discuss.

Here’s my latest render. I wish roblox let us access pixel data on decals as well as their size :frowning:

15 Likes

I like the unique style people use for their creations, and I know the materials are limited, but I have to ask, are you going to keep the curtains that cobblestone material? Regardless, great work as usual.

Working on the GFX and scripts for a Boxing game.

2 Likes

He gets punched by the guy’s left hand but he gets knocked back to his right.

Also the placement of that bit of sweat/drool makes it look like he’s going forward instead of backwards.

4 Likes

Final post for the day. Doing ambient occlusion next :smiley:

4 Likes

I swear that if I a person had to stop playing every game ever invented and only be able to play the game that your making, I would be that person in a heartbeat.

And for you…Im speechless

Correction, Im speechless at this weeks posts, did school make you hyper-devs or what?!
:+1: and :heart: for all of you

Laughs hysterically. This is gonna be awesome,

One week later on Roblox Blog: ScriptOn transforms Roblox into the next-gen rendering engine.

1 Like

I also made my own rendering engine on Roblox. It was 3 years ago. I remembered this after I saw ScriptOn’s version. I opened it up again and made it better after seeing what he did.

It currently has;

• Normal maps. Light bounce, reflection and refraction are affected by normal maps.
  • Bilinear interpolation for diffuse and normal maps.
  • Fake ambient occlusion at corners.
  • Real surface reflectivity based ambient occlusion for whole space.
  • Refraction inside a transparent object.
  • Reflection caused from refraction.
  • Pure reflection.

20 Likes