What can hackers really do to your game?

As a Roblox Developer one of my biggest concerns are hackers not just ruining the experience for others but also stealing assets I paid a lot of money for. I’ve see what happens with (for example, DOORS) where if you don’t protect your assets the very next day the entire map is available for free in the toolbox.

I read up a lot about what hackers can steal, (this is my only concern, the game is already programmed to not trust client communications through modules and remoteevents). I’m paying people a lot of money for some of these assets and I really can’t afford for them to be stolen and given away for free. I’m keeping what I can in ServerStorage but I need to know what the requirements are to save an item.

For example does the object have to be actively in a Server Service? meaning that once cloned into workspace it can be stolen? Or does it just have to originate from a Server Service, or maybe be cloned by a Server Service?

If you had any information that you could link me that would be very appreciated, thanks!

5 Likes

If it’s in workspace or anything else that is visible to the client, it can be stolen. It can’t be stolen from server only services as the data from those isn’t transmitted to the client.

3 Likes

How can your protect your maps from being stolen if they have to be in the workspace?

1 Like

There’s basically no way to prevent it. You could create a WrapLayer and parent it to nil, so when they open the file, it’ll give them an error. This will only stop the skids, though.

4 Likes

You can’t, just like big game studios have their assets ripped too. But you can send DMCA takedowns to roblox/games stealing ur assets. Really I don’t think asset stealing is as big of a problem as people often make it out to be. The ones that need to resort to stealing assets will often lack the skills to make a successful game anyway

2 Likes

For me some of these assets cost me thousands of dollars I just don’t want them available on sketchfab the next day for 0 dollars.

2 Likes

I also disagree, I’ve seen DOORS assets for many non roblox friendly videos,

On the other hand maps and models from Frontlines and other realistic fps games have never been leaked the same way,

1 Like

You can disagree all you want, it doesn’t change the facts?? Frontlines has way less players than doors, it’s a bad comparison.

And if your assets get put up on sketchfab, just send a DMCA takedown, they’re going to comply 100%.

If you’re this worried about it, then stop buying those expensive assets because there is nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING you can do to stop it. Any data sent to a client will always be able to be ripped somehow.

2 Likes

How can you disagree with the fact that the client needs models to be sent on their machine, so it can somehow render them, otherwise they will just see black screen

I mean stopping the hacks from infiltrating your game

Meaning this will only work on lower level hacks and not high level synapse?

I really don’t know what answer you want, everyone here has replied and answered accordingly.

u literally cannot protect your assets ftom being stolen if they are ever visible on the client. theres nothing you can do about it

3 Likes

It should work with all decompilers that record instances parented to nil (Including synapse)

1 Like

No its alright, its just that I’ve paid some top of the line devs to create assets and I’d of course rather them not be stolen for free, I worked for this money

Could you give a rundown of how and what I could use this on?

I know what you mean but there is really not much that you can do, this is how the game works. Any models replicated to the client will be of course, available to the client. There is no 100% chance to prevent this but I think there are some things you can use to prevent it, I think the script most exploiters use is Dex and low level executors can be detected through an anti dex script which you can use to instantly ban them. Won’t really work with high level executors with measures that can bypass this. Anyways

Take care :wave:

1 Like

Hey. Is there any devforum post that talks about this or provides any detector for these low level executors?

Thanks for your post and for taking your time to write it. I had no idea there were detectors for these!

Yeah I heard of it a while ago, sorry for the late reply I was looking for the posts and something came up but here you go.
Post 1

Post 2

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.