What component in a Humanoid makes it lag, and is there a way to make them "Inactive"?

So, I am planning to make a huge-open world game and fill it with NPCs. Problem is, alot Humanoids can make a game lag. I know that disabling humanoid state types lowers their performance, but is there also a way to make them “Inactive”
example: an NPC is 1K studs away from the nearest player, it becomes “Inactive”

The NPCs I want will occasionally walk, and sometimes be static “Managing” stuff
Should I make the NPCs entirely client sided, and just have instructions on what they should look like on the server? Or is there a better method?

I’d suggest using content streaming, it’s very useful for the thing your doing. You could also destroy the NPC’s depending on the players distance from them but content streaming would be the way to go in my opinion. (This involves StreamingEnabled)

2 Likes

I already have streaming enabled set up, but my concern is about the server, and how it would handle the humanoids since Streaming is only for the client

Well it depends on the aspects of what your trying to do server sided, I suggest keeping everything limited, literally, have minimum parts in it, (baseplate, walls) and try keep everything together with little mesh parts (streaming enabled blocks some of this), you could put warnings telling players to either turn their Graphics Quality down but other than that just prevent big things in the game, keep little to no parts, ui, remove events anything like that. Other than that yeah, if you want a ton of moving humanoids it’s best to keep moving parts out too.

I guess I’ll try the option to just make “intructions” on how to simulate a certain NPC on the server, and have the client generate it, while the server doesn’t see it at all. If a client gets to far, it could destroy the humanoid

1 Like

Did a tiny bit of research but here’s a good post about something similar.

4 Likes