What do I do here

Hey Im new to Roblox developing. And first I want to know how to script. I watched two Alvin
blox tutorials and already ran into a problem. But I want to know how much the wiki teaches. for example does it only teach the basics of Lua or Lua scripting head to toe? And I don’t even know how to use the wiki so I don’t know how to actually learn where to cause theres not a lot of tutorials out there.

3 Likes

The wiki doesn’t necessary teach, when people say they learn from the wiki they are usually referring to either the basics like reading up on loops or conditional statements, or whenever creating something they look at the documentation of whatever object there messing with to see what properties/functions/events it has then using there already existing basic knowledge to create stuff.

you can use youtube to discover concepts (stuff like loops tables etc.) and then use the wiki or even lua.org to read more on them since most youtube videos can sometimes explain something not accurately it is very important that youtube is not your primary source of learning

right now a good source is discord, join a scripting discord and you can ask for help sometimes even from pros, if you show a interest in learning a lot of pros will be willing to help you improve

2 Likes

First, If you want to learn how to script I recommend watching PeasFactory to get the basics of it. After knowing the basics, the dev forum and the wiki is a good place to look up things you haven’t learnt in the tutorials or things you need help with. Good luck!

As someone who doesn’t really have much scripting experience, my suggestion to you would be to take your time by starting small by trying to understand other persons scripts and learning the basics of coding that way you gradually learn how to become a scripter. Just practice by watching videos and understanding what they are doing and due time as they always say, practice becomes perfect @SuperGavin617.

1 Like

One way I was able to learn simple coding is by watching YouTube tutorials. (I would personally recommend watching AlvinBlox or TheDevKing.) Another way I learned some basics is by buying books involving Lua and just taking my time on reading them. Also, the DevForum is a good place to stay connected with other developers and get help whenever you need! But yeah! Those are the basics! (Welcome, by the way)

1 Like

Theres already a lot of posts on these questions, for example

If you need help on something you don’t find on these posts be sure to ask me, please use the search bar next time!

You can maybe go ahead and look on YouTube