What do most modern games use for simulating a ships roll / rock

Hey! Im making a open would game which has ships in it.

But i have a issue, which is. I dont know how to create a roll or rock for the ship in the sea, its using a vehicle seat, i have tried rotating ships with body objects but it just makes them buggy and broken (fall over, or grow more and more out of sync)

Do people animate them in any other way than just body movers? I would use tweening but the ship cant be anchored.

I know that Dynamic Ship Simulator III uses Legacy BodyMovers (Atleast they used to) and I’m fairly certain this is what the vast majority of games of this type use.

There are actually New BodyMovers that work based upon attachments that I would use for this type of work due to their optimization/ease.

If not you could always resort to CFrame but I highly suggest against that due to it being extremely laggy if not physics based.

1 Like

Thanks! I did some reading into it, and decided to use Align Orientation which would of worked really well, but i cant seem to get the body movers to move only one axis, now it stops the ship from turning due to it being locked in place by Align Orientation. Is there any way I can lock it to just the x axis?

BodyMovers usually have a property expressing how much force can be applied to a specific axis. For example BodyVelocity has a property called MaxForce, if you wanted to lock it to only work on the X axis you would set BodyVelocity.MaxForce = Vector3.new(10000, 0, 0), setting max force to the other axis means force cannot be applied to them by the instance rendering them locked.

1 Like

Ah ok I see now! Thank you so much for the help!

1 Like