What does -nan(ind) mean and how do I fix it?

Hello developers! I’ve come across this and I don’t know what this means.
My script prints out -nan(ind) whenever i put a big number in this function.

local Functions =  {

Default = function(n)
		local v = 1
		for i = 2, n do
			v = v * i
		end
		return v -- Basically creating a factorial function
	end,

Class = function(n, k)

local fac = require(script).Default

return fac(n) / fac(n - k) -- The factorial function but instead of all the numbers it just uses the last (some number) numbers.
	end

}

print(Functions.Class(100000, 2)) -- This should be printing out 100K multiplied by 99,999, instead it's printing "-nan(ind)"

This is a big issue for my game since the class function can return a sum of 1 to any number and I need that for calculations in my game.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

(The table is actually a ModuleScript)

Because dividing an infinite number with another infinite number in Luau will result in -nan(ind) “number”.
fac(n) turns into infinite when n is anything higher or equal to 171 because of how big the number is (~1.7976931336163e+308 is the limit before Luau turns the number into infinite, or 2^1023.999999999… in another terms.).

So when you pass anything higher or equal to 173 to Functions.Class(n, 2), it will make both fac(n) and fac(n - k) infinite numbers so Luau returns -nan(ind) when you divide them.

3 Likes

Is there a way to fix this or replicate it?

You can’t really fix this limitation, all numbers in Luau are double-precision floating point numbers that uses IEEE 754 format. Which means out of 64 bits used to store the number, 1 is used for storing the sign of number, 11 used for exponent which stores a 11 bit integer and 52 bits for fraction for the rest for precision.

You could try to get around this problem by using a library to store integers bigger than 2^53 without precision loss like BigInteger library made by @Blockzez but obviously, this solution does not use native double-precision floating point numbers in Luau (Well, it technically does to store tables of base 2 in little-endian order but I digress.) so it’s a lot slower and obviously has some limitations to it.

2 Likes

Alright, thanks for the info! Have a good day.