What if someone has an ID to an asset I made

I am not saying I want to move off the platform, but I think there should be a better way than just having ID’s I personally think those ID’s should have the ability to be game locked.

Hello, I uploaded the texture from the Asset Manager that was originally a local file. The texture is a decal if I am not mistaken.

If you mean decals then everyone can freely use it as I know.

Again, Roblox is based purely off of UGC. If everyone chose to lock their assets, a lot of newer developers would not have much to work with.

There’s not much else to say other than there’s no way to protect your Images/Decals from being stolen, just like how there’s no way to prevent someone from stealing your maps and LocalScripts. If you insist that there should be a way to lock your assets, you can always file a feature request.

I think though I agree with you on the part that users who are new should have access to assets, the toolbox exists, so I think item that are uploaded with textures, those ID’s become “public” and the rest are locked to games, but at this point its just a feature request. So thank you to everyone who helped me with this.

Hello

Thank you for the info.

Explanation

Uploading it as a decal is not the right idea if you don’t want people to steal it. if it is uploaded as a decal they can take the id and use it for there game whenever they want, even if it isn’t available to buy. As I don’t upload my textures for that reason.

But I will say they can (Exploiters) steal it from your game as it isn’t something you can avoid sadly. It’s rare for that, but lets take Piggy Chapter 10 Map for example (I have selected Piggy since it has the most problems):
This picture shows the New Map within the game.

This picture is a screenshot of the Map published by another person for people to use, as there is multiples of this within less than a week.

This just shows anyone can steal your assets from within the game, but it’s rare depending upon if people want it for themselves.

What to do

There is no easy way to avoid it but I suggest:

• Do not upload textures to Roblox, keep them in your files ONLY.

• If someone copies your asset and uses it and is making money off of it (Game, selling, etc.) then report them showing proof that you own it!

Conclusion

I hope this info helps, if you have anymore questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards

StompyDonut

Alright thank you, how would I keep the file local while having it on Roblox?

Hello

How to do this

1. Save the Image to your computer (Right click > click Save Image As) (Do not delete if you want to use it in the future!)

2. Add Texture to the part (Select the Part in explore and click the “+” icon).

3. Select Texture > go to Properties > Select Texture ID > click “Add Image”

4. Select Image from your files.

5. Done.

Conclusion

That’s how you do it. If you have any more questions just ask! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

-StompyDonut

Hello, wouldn’t that still create an ID for the asset?

Any asset that is replicated to the client can be stolen. Exploiters can simply download your textures and re-upload them.

I don’t think a decal can be found from the library unless it is specifically made public.

Honestly, it’s not a big deal. Just don’t worry too much about it

Hello

Yes it does create an id, but it isn’t on a public page like Decals. And is very hard to find compared to if the game was being exploited for example.

You shouldn’t worry about it, like stated report them if they do steal with proof that you own it.

Kind Regards

StompyDonut
:roblox: Roblox Beta Tester :roblox:

1 Like

Alright thank you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

This only happens for animations.

No, this is not true, anyone can use your assets, even if they’re not free.

Actually, the client DevConsole states every asset ID downloaded for the game.

This would be useless since people could just re-upload the assets.

Then others cannot see them.

You misinterpreted my post. The chances of an exploiter actually taking the time to steal that one texture asset is slim. Of course the assets are downloaded to the client, how else are they supposed to access them?

Never said I agreed with the idea, hence “If you insist”. Thanks, but no thanks.

They can steal it in 2 clicks, it’s no hassle to them and is all within Roblox.

You misunderstood my post again. Stealing a texture asset doesn’t give the exploiter any benefit, which is why chances are low. Most exploiters do what they do to gain a competitive advantage over others. So what if it only takes 2 clicks or even 1 click. The average exploiter won’t steal a texture asset. It happens, but rarely. Which is why it should be of no concern to the OP.

And if it does happen, the worst case scenario is that the texture gets put on the toolbox and it is used by hundreds of other developers. All the exploiter is doing is showing off the work of others at this point. And if this effect is undesirable, a texture is easily replaceable.

What about meshes? They have Asset ID’s also, and by meshes I am talking very complex modeled meshes.

As I stated above:

Meshes, decals, buildings, etc… can all be stolen by exploiters. Every asset the client can see must be downloaded by that client, meaning it is (temporarily) stored on their computer. Which is why you can often find complete maps of popular games in the Toolbox.

However, meshes are stored as files that only Roblox understands, this means they would need to spent extra effort changing the format.