What is everything that I can do to optimize a union in blender?

Right now, I’m optimizing my game by converting all of my unions to meshes, but I want to know everything that I can do so I can optimize as much as possible. So far, I’ve converted it from tris to quads used some autosmoothing, and merged by distance, which brought my face count for one union by half, which I think is pretty good! I know that I can use decimate as well but I can’t use it on everything because sometimes it looks weird.

Is there anything else that I can do that anyone knows of?

Heres something that can help you (my reply):

Thats literally where I got all of the stuff I’ve done so far, lol

Thank you!

Do you know anything else?

If (if you can) if you can convert a tri to a quad or use less polys overall, take the time to “dissolve” the faces of the unions. This may take a long time but allows you to get less polys and more control.

Clicking on (lets say) two traingles that can form a quad, pressing x, then dissolving faces. Warning though, if you do it wrong, it could get odd with faces. Try to avoid ngons if you can, its just discouraged.

1 Like

So basically what you mean is manually removing faces?

Not really, more so you’re combining the already existing faces to lower poly count. However if you do have unneccessary faces, do remove them.

1 Like

Alright, thank you! I’ve seen you a lot around the devforum when it comes to optimization, thanks :pray:

If you have any more pointers for me to optimize my entire game in general, please share them

Any of the Unions I’ve converted to meshes have been a strange mess. I basically take all the useful vertices and made faces from them manually, then smoothed those faces.

1 Like