What is faster in replicating data?

What is faster in replicating data in roblox?

1. Send data through remote event from server and client.

2. Send data through instance’s like a Configuration Folder set all data as attributes and parent it on replicated storage and when attributes changes, it automatically replicates to all clients.

In my current situation and how I set my game’s structure
the 2nd option is pretty easy for me to implement. I am just wondering if this would take a toll in network bandwidth much more that just sending data through remote events.

These data don’t change often and only changes based on the game state.

Example:
In a tower defense game, A player owns a unit and the unit’s data is replicated through using the 2nd option these data are:

Level
Damage
Health
AttackSpeed

The data changes when the unit is damaged, or the unit is upgraded, and when the unit receives a buff or debuff.

I would be gladly taking the 2nd route if this doesn’t take much toll to network bandwidth as well as memory.

On the other note I asked Roblox Assistant and this is the answer I don’t know if its true lol.

If so, I’d say option 2 is generally faster. When you parent an instance to ReplicatedStorage and update its attributes, the changes will be automatically replicated to all clients. This is because ReplicatedStorage is designed to synchronize data between the server and clients.

On the other hand, sending data through remote events from the server to the client can also work, but it might introduce some latency and require more processing power. This is because remote events need to be sent over the network, which can take some time, and then need to be processed on the client-side.

1 Like

They both technically have to send data over the network otherwise your game would never replicate any serverside changes, that being said, both of them are so close that it’s not worth arguing over which one is faster.

Attributes are much easier to implement but are very limited in data types.

If you’re looking for a good replication module, try using ReplicaService:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.