What is the best way to create a larger map and cut down on lag?

Hello, I have worked on many larger maps before with my devs but have always had the problem of when it becomes either to large or detailed I get a lot of lag as naturally everyone does. I substitute the more detailed parts for meshs but even then in some of the larger sized builds such as 5k x 5k or 6k x 6k maps I will still run in a t least the very little bit of lag.

Do any of you have better suggestions on making a larger map while cutting down on the lag? I was thinking of maybe having my devs try a full or almost full mesh map but IDK how well that would work plus that would prob increase load time quite a bit.

You can try using this list and applying it:

making an LOD system wouldn’t hurt though.

3 Likes

Thanks not a bad list, but a lot of that we have tried I am wondering if you maybe have any more ideas?

Even having large amounts of flat and thin (smooth, not part based) terrain can cause lag and tremendous loading times. If your map is currently a single island, I’d suggest dividing it into multiple islands and if for example you have a city area, you can make that area before putting in the terrain and putting the terrain only where it’s visible during normal gameplay. For meshes, you should try cutting down on polygon and texture count and for part based models, you should try not using too much parts (and coupled with the apparently upcoming automatic model LOD system, that’ll be a bonus in performance).

1 Like

Thanks, most of my projects are war based though so I make large scale combat maps and stuff like that for aerial combat or ground tank combat. I am putting forth quite a bit of effort on a project I really want to work on rn with some friends and thats why we were wondering. Having it split up into multiple servers or islands like that wouldn’t really work.

1 Like

Are you using a lot of textures in your maps?
Are you adjusting the collision fidelity of your mesh parts appropriately?

Also, have you considered a settings menu with low performance PCs in mind?

Hope it helps. I just had to take a bunch of small places and make them into one giant map because I suck at teleport service and optimization took weeks and is still ongoing, but lag free.

1 Like

I just use roblox texture’s really as I quite like some of the base ones so I don’t ever really use textures. For most of the meshs my devs do adjust it as far as I am aware and it may be worth looking into a settings menu like you said. Thanks for the suggestion!

One thing I could personally recommend thats becoming a thing now is building the original in roblox, brining it in to a 3D modeller and rendering it as a mesh. One part instead of 9000.

Wow, that is clever. I will have to try that on a small scale and see how it compares in performance and maybe try on a larger map.

1 Like