What is the server side vs the client side?

I heard that you should never trust the client and only use the server-side, and I was wondering which is server or client?

2 Likes

Its not a tab in the explorer, its Local script or Server scripts. Local scripts are the client, Server scripts are the server. You never want to trust a Local script with important information that exploiters could abuse. Such as giving money, etc.

So what can the hackers/exploiter see or steal.

Workspace, ReplicatedStorage, StarterPlayer, Lighting, and I believe some other services? Check with the wiki. It will usually say whether or not a side is server only or client only or shared between the 2.

Actual client sided only I believe is StarterPlayer and PlayerGUI which is located in the player in Players.

1 Like

Alright, is their any other resources that could tell em answer as well?

Well I’m not sure of any. You could check out some posts that explain exploiting. If you need a better grasp on the client-server model, check out the Wiki’s.

Now this is a bit off-topic but I’ll include it anyways, do sanity checks on the server. If the client requests to pick up an item across the map, deny it. If it’s something like 10 studs, accept it and so on.

Like the previous person said, LocalScripts are client only. The true client only services would be stuff such as PlayerGUI and that cannot be accessed by the server.

1 Like