What is your process of coming up with game ideas?

I don’t think that hard about a game I’m going to make, I get like a word in my head then work out ideas from that word but we are all different and think differently so I was wondering, how do you come up with your game ideas?

Start with a small idea that would seem fun to make.

Map it out, I can’t explain how much that helps in the long-run. Making games without a plan and just going with the flow commonly leads to you giving up or quitting on the projecct.

Also, this is useful: Open source game design document

I think of my favorite games, and then add twists to them.

For example, I love the game Starcraft II. One day, I thought to myself: “What if instead of aliens and humans battling, it would be a giant food fight!” Now I am working on that, because it seems like a cool idea!

First try to brainstorm or you might have an inspiration from other games. Than I find out if the game would be profitable and if the concept is fun to others. If your having trouble looking for a game concept I’d look at what you have a passion which can be anything.

There are many ways to come up with a game idea whether it be playing games viewing known games or finding inspiration.

Usually when I’m looking for ideas I always take inspiration from a game you love or enjoy playing it could be something related to building or creating things. If you enjoy games, for example: action adventure games, think about different ideas that you could use to make it your own general idea. You could even visualize a game, and brainstorm different ideas and write them down in a notebook to use later down the line.

I always find things that haven’t been created before or something related to that specific genre. If you’re trying to recreate a sorting game with your own idea something related to a “Simulator” think about different ways on how you would make it different if you were creating it.

There are ways of planning out your game, if you’re having a hard time coming up with game ideas view resources and do a little research to find ways that help you with coming up with game ideas! Here is a thread that leaves some useful information and resources:

I think of something not a lot of people have done before and I try making it something a lot of people like i don’t spend weeks thinking of a game I idea I get something I like and do it

A truly good game that seems to have died out always inspires me. I take a look at the game, and remake it with a unique spin. For example, I’ve been working on a game similar to a sci-fi game made in the 1980’s. (Chex Quest) It was very obscure and nobody seemed to remember it, so I’ve been considering making it a Roblox game, but with my own unique spin of making it a fantasy theme. Other things that inspire me to come up with ideas are stories that i find interesting, whether they’re in a book I read, or a small group of characters floating around my journal.