What other kinds of code should I learn about?

I know a good amount of code such as;

• Variables
  • Values
  • Functions
  • Events
  • Remotes
  • Local/Scripts
  • Bindables
  • Coroutines
  • Tables/Meta Tables
  • Services
  • Data Saving
  • Properties
  • Module Scripts
  • Attributes

But I’m pretty sure there’s more to know about. Does anyone know what else I should be learning? I’d like to know more so that I can get better at programming.

1 Like

How about OOP? Object Oriented Programming in Roblox - Resources / Community Tutorials - DevForum | Roblox

1 Like

What type of services do you know?
I was about to say @majdTRM was going to say but he beat me to it

1 Like

You should learn about Players

CollectionService

Attributes (VERY VERY USEFUL, better than regular values)

And ModuleScripts

2 Likes

There’s a lot to explore if you haven’t already:

• Libraries (can reduce complexity and introduce new patterns as well as being reusable throughout multiple projects)

• External tooling (you can use CI/CD, version control systems, any text editor you want and lots and lots of automation)

2 Likes

I know a lot of services, but there’s probably a fair amount that I don’t use all that much. You could point out a few that I may not know about though. Here’s the services I can list from the top of my head:

• DataStoreService
  • HttpService
  • Debris
  • PhysicsService
  • ContextActionService
  • MarketplaceService
  • Players, ServerStorage, Lighting, etc

Have you had a look at the MessagingService?
This REALLY is a great service for server to server communication and I find it very helpful.

Also I don’t recommend this style of learning how to code, of course this completely up to how you learn best, but the best way I find to learn is to create a target, maybe that would be a game mechanic whatever that would be. What you would do is create plan or structure on how you are going to approach the implementation, this of course includes learning the things that would require you to implement it.

What this actually does is it provides experience, as well as improves the way you approach a problem. It’s certainly how a lot of people go by learning a new language these days, thanks to this I was able to pick up other programming languages too, just to name a few Java, C++, Python, etc In the span of 3 months to a intermediate level (3 months because I had school)

You know this is again completely up to you.

1 Like

Never heard of this service it sounds really nice, I’ll give it a try!

You should have a look here too

The link I provided didn’t show anything other than usage information, this shows how you could implement it into your game or gives an idea at least.