What should I script that will improve my skill?

So basically I am quite new to scripting, but I want to do something where I try and make a new thing every week with increasing difficulty to challenge myself.
I have tried to script some stuff on my own, but I can’t find good ideas that ramp up the difficulty in the ways I want to and also I’m lacking the creativity to think of anything at the moment, so would love to see your ideas in the replies. It could be a small little thing, or a bigger thing, but it would have to take <= one week of work ;). (Keep in mind, I’m not a professional so one week of work for me may not translate over to you.)

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

This could really be anything that you can think of that you want to do. If you finish it quickly, then just think of more features to add or other things to script. Here’s a list of what I could think of, probably in increasing difficulty:

• print(“Hello World!”)
  • Crash Roblox with a while true do script that has no wait
  • Iterate through a table and print its index and value
  • Make a part face where your mouse is at
  • Tween a part from one position to the next and create an elevator
  • Create a lazer that bounces around using Raycasting
  • Make a loot/lottery system where doing something has a random chance of dropping an item
  • Create a lazy loader that will require scripts for you
  • Modularize your code using OOP
  • Learn Luau
  • Create a furniture system like in the Sims
  • Learn about maze algorithms and create your own maze generator
  • Create a pixel-painting system like in pixel art programs
  • Make a game
  • Try to make Raytracing
  • Create a visual novel engine
  • Create a 2D game engine with collision detection, 2D welds for body parts, movement, camera locking in certain areas
  • Create Roblox in Roblox
1 Like

Thank you so so much.
Honestly this was exactly what I was looking for.
Couldn’t be happier with the selection of ideas, it sounds great. I will start my journey now!

Excuse me, what is Luau (if you didn’t mean Lua)? (Limit)

Luau is Roblox’s evolution of Lua that supports typechecking which both speeds up code since the engine no longer has to guess what values it is dealing with and makes code easier to read since you declare its types. There is also better autocomplete since the engine knows its types.

Example:

--!strict

type Message = {
	Text: string,
}

function printMessage(message: Message): boolean
	if message.From then
		print(message.Text)
		return true
	end

return false
end