What smooth terrain materials would you like to add?

Go ahead and give us your best ideas! Note: all good ideas have picture examples, ideally multiple pictures at different distances, and with different contexts.

Note: at some point we want to allow customization of existing materials (i.e. color painting). This will come in the more distant future.

17 Likes

Lava that you can actually swim in (or die in)

8 Likes

Lava would be awesome, but requires custom tech unfortunately. So it’s harder than other types of materials.

• Tree bark (would allow us to create smooth trunks and branches with a really small brush rather than ugly bricky ones that have seams all throughout them since the parts don’t connect perfectly)
  • Swampy grass (kind of liked cracked lava but with tiny streams of water through it + dark grass)
  • Variants of grass and dirt so the map looks different in places
  • Autumn leafy ground
  • Dead leafy ground
  • Murky/muddy water that’s hard to see through
  • Less-transparent ocean water (current water is very transparent)
  • Transparent frozen ice material (imagine being in an ice palace where you can see through the walls)
  • Cobblestone path like the roads from Skyrim
  • Grey brick path for better maintained areas (can’t use regular brick since it’s blocky and nobody has orange/red roads)
24 Likes

How easy would it be to integrate the current Roblox part textures into Smooth Terrain?

It would be awesome to be able to mix smooth terrain and parts without a noticeable difference,
Smooth terrain could be used for larger areas, while parts could be used for more detailed areas.

4 Likes

Sandstone, medium dark brown-ish shade rock material with a blocky appearance:

Cobblestone, medium sized stones with dirt inbetween, great for roads:
EDIT: EchoReaper edited cobblestone in while I was making my post, sorry for duplicate.

Mud, don’t think you need a picture for this one. Dark brown, wet looking.

And more variations of liquids.
Can’t lava be done as a reskin of water with less + slower waves and a different texture on top?

17 Likes

More types of materials that could be used for paths would be extremely useful.

Furthermore, looking at different sorts of landmasses, chalk would be extremely useful for cliffs.

15 Likes

@woot3 Really digging that third road look. Big want.

It would be interesting to have some semi-transparent materials, like glass or clearer water.
This would open up a whole new aspect, instead of terrain just being a solid mass with some water.

3 Likes

Fine for people with mid/high-range computers, but for us mere mortals this, although cool, would simply push our graphics further into the dust…

Jus’ saying.

It would be nice to see more variations to textures as well. The grass looks very dry for example, what if I want some damp grass, or a very strong green texture for a rich persons house? All textures need some variations to what we have currently.

I think it might be a good idea to have a look at the Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 palette. They have a very wide range of materials that we could make use of.

1 Like

Crystal

1 Like

Like mentioned before, more grass materials would be usefull.
My main issue with terrain (especially the grass) is that the style is too different from bricks.

Most trees, landscape models, brick terrain don’t look as nice on smooth terrain maps as on brick maps.
There is currently no brickcolor for example that has the same color as the smooth grass and the dirt texture on the side of the smooth grass makes it even more different from grass bricks.
The color update which was mentioned for the more distant fure, would certainly help a lot already, but I do think another grass material (and perhaps another rock/slate material as well) is needed to make bricks blend better with terrain.

It’d be nice if the new grass material would have a similar texture as the brick grass and if the entire voxel would be grass instead of dirt on the sides. For the color I think forest green would be nice or a similar brick color.

As an experiment I quickly built a small map with terrain that looks a bit like this. I tried to make it look like smooth terrain and mixed it with some other terrain materials.

This type of grass looks nice with other smooth terrain materials and is also easier to combine with flat brick baseplates and other parts. For now I will probably use a building style similar to this in combination with other smooth terrain materials.

The place can be found here if anyone is interested (graphics on 9 or lower recommended):

5 Likes

I’d still like to see asphalt.

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas. Good stuff. Any potential screenshots for a crystal like material?

4 Likes

For parts:

• Glass
  • More metal textures
  • Neon with no glow
  • The mud/grass textures from terrain :frowning:

For terrain:

• What Echo and Zyneak said
3 Likes
  1. Blades of grass with adjustable lengths? (parabolic arc)
  2. Clay
  3. Semi-transparent ice
1 Like

Rather then new materials, I would like to be able to change the color of the existing materials, this would benefit us all. ROBLOX Staff would be able to kill 2 noobs with one rocket, add a highly requested feature that will also give new materials…because, purple grass can be used for so much more then grass, red colored rock would allow us to make Mars, color changeable water would allow us to make so many liquids such as glowless lava, acid water and that brown stuff in the Apature Testing facilitates that kill you when you get in it.

But if that won’t do then I would like to see what Echo and Zyneak wanted.

3 Likes

On the way.

5 Likes