What we announced at RDC 2023

This is all fine and dandy but…

Where is the Audio Update Followup?!
We were promised the ability to distribute audio freely on the marketplace again and yet I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere, nor is it already released!

Honestly Roblox it’s been 2 years since you’ve shut down audio distribution when will you finally re-open it again? Especially with the new audio features you’ve promised, now is a good time more than ever!

Ban API - Potential Abuse
You mentioned that you may use ban-data from players to ban people who appear to get banned in many games, what’s stopping someone from making a ton of alts/games and banning popular players in all of them, so it appears they got banned in thousands of games? Aside from that, glad we’ll get an official API for this!

Anticheat - Support for Microsoft Client and Android
This is a major W! Thank you for ensuring you won’t stop till the exploiters are gone forever!

50 Likes

This is very cool, Hopefully will make Rojo redundant and be simple to use.

28 Likes

Remember that Roblox is also used by people that don’t know how to program/build and simply want to create small games for themselves and for their friends.

26 Likes

Grass Height setting is finally coming! Hopefully they can make it so we can set various heights for certain patches of grass, looks like its entirely global atm, but thats ok for now. I’m excited for all the other new features as well. Can’t wait to try them out! :smiley:

24 Likes

Will Roblox on PlayStation have PSVR and PSVR2 Support

22 Likes

Amazing stuff announced today at RDC, which I can’t wait to see being released. However, one party popper was “Public UGC” Access, which might be a good idea on paper, but less good in practice, as there will be so many issues with users breaking the rules. This will probably be nice if handled properly, so we’re gonna see if it’s as bad as people think, or if it’s a good idea.

A question I got, as a UGC creator, will I keep my publishing permissions without paying for premium once it’s public? Or do I need to purchase premium to do something I’ve previously done for free. Another question is, will the UGC earnings increase? Or will they still be 30%?

And from a non UGC creator point of view, speaking of other features, will uploading videos at first require a special “program” or will it be released to everybody at once? What if people try to bypass inappropriate pictures within frames of videos? How will this be prevented?
Also, will there be ways to upload more than 3 videos per month? If so, will they be exclusive to certain developers? Or will everybody be able to upload more than that? If a video gets falsely deleted, will we lose that video “slot” or can we still upload 3 videos?

There’s so many cool stuff coming up which I can’t wait to see, but hopefully all of them are meeting the expectations, and they don’t have many flaws!

22 Likes

Cool to see official support for this, but will there be a way to support tooling that has been made by the community such as Wally. Since from the example gif it just showcases the file syncing. It’d be a huge bummer if these community created tools would not work on this

20 Likes

Okay.

I’m excited about videos (although they are ID verified, bad move), wind and water physics and better audio, as well as some of the API.

HOWEVER

Say my friends and I are playing a police game, and I shout “SIR GET DOWN!” at them. Will the AI ban me for “not being civil”?

If yes, then we really are moving towards a china-inspired surveillance system, where anything that is not considered “respectful” or “civil” with land you a ban.

• What about your claims of improving moderation?

We’ve heard for the last few RDC’s that you would improve moderation, yet I can’t really see much improvement in terms of moderation, I still see people complaining about false bans day after day, week after week, month after month.

• Then we have the subscriptions, jesus christ.

Why do we need to have a subscription system everywhere? Isn’t it enough that I already have an internet bill to pay, electricity to pay, rent to pay and YouTube premium to pay just not to be stuck with 30 seconds of unskippable ads, PREMIUM TO PAY?

I understand roblox is attempting to make more money, however another subscription system is a foul move every company is doing out there in the 21st century.

Bad move.

• What about this new “ban detection system”?

Will this just ban my account if I get banned off enough games, even if the moderators of said games were total dorks and banned me out of the blue?

• And what about my alt accounts?*

Will my alt accounts get banned, even though I only use them to upload assets and prevent my main from being banned for bogus reasons?

I’m 50/50 on this conference/roadmap.

30 Likes

Loving all this updates! And then I saw this:

Please, no. This is not messenger, this is roblox.

Hopefully this sticks around and doesn’t cause inflation! :fire:

39 Likes

These changes sound absolutely mind-blowing, woah!
I’m so excited for all of these, I cannot wait to try some of the new features. :slight_smile:

Especially curious what the new audio and mesh APIs are and all the machine-learning-powered stuff. :eyes:

Procedural terrain finally more doable? Texture manipulation? I wonder what we’re gonna get.

13 Likes

I’ve been waiting for user-made subscriptions for years now. I’m glad to know Roblox is still working on it! Can’t wait to use it when it releases.

17 Likes

it makes it worse because they use rthro avatars and trying to make it realistic, which is exactly what messenger would do (yk, meta and all)

16 Likes

OMG, all these upcoming additions are going to make Roblox even better then it already is! Cannot wait to try out all these new features!

14 Likes

We are all so excited to see what comes in the rest of 2023 and beyond - keep bringing us these amazing updates and additions! My favorite changes are ones involving improvements in the Roblox Studio workflow, changes to performance, and new AI to allow for automated texturing of meshes.

12 Likes

Incredible new updates I’m looking forward to. Especially the stuff for the creator marketplace, can’t wait for the new implementations.

13 Likes

Cel shading on mobile? Since when has that ever been a thing?

14 Likes

I wonder how much freedom we’ll be given with this.

15 Likes

they already do break tos and sadly alot of those who dont have experince will be alot of cubes uploaded i feel like

13 Likes

Very excited to try out the assistant in regard to re-texturing models that you can describe in a specific way!

15 Likes

pretty cool i gotta say, keep up the improvements (but not doing pretty stupid stuff that people may not like lol…)

17 Likes