What's Coming in 2019: This Year's Developer Roadmap

Roblox and the Chromium team are actually not in a similar situation. I assume Typed Lua would only statically type check as you write and save in Studio, and is erased at run time; so, there’s no overhead when it is ran. The problem Chromium ran into was that they needed to type check everything each time the user got a copy of JavaScript before running it, instead of only once.

6 Likes

You’re correct; we’re targeting something like TypeScript in that sense. Initially types will be completely erased at runtime, and the goal for type annotations would be only to help you catch type errors early. We eventually want to leverage type information to increase performance by eliding type checks in the interpreter but that is hard to do safely, so that’s not a this-year thing.

3 Likes

Will we be able to make use of Typed Lua outside of Studio? I want my code under version control but Studio has no integrations for that currently, and I don’t want to miss out on Typed Lua just because I use an external editor.

5 Likes

Universe Script & Game Services

pushed forward by a whole year -.-

Was really looking forward to it last year :frowning:

9 Likes

The roadmap looks pretty promising! I’m hyped for the vegetation feature more than anything. I have a few questions though:

• Will the vegetations be configurable as to choice of the developer?

• Will they be visible on high-end mobile devices running the mobile client?

2 Likes

I know it’s not on the roadmap, but I was wondering if the per platform image compression was still being worked on (as seen here)?

3 Likes

I like heightmap things, many make it so it scans the terrain exports it and we can then add onto it instead of doing it in studio and such

1 Like

Probably this. I messaged Sorcus about increasing the limit a little bit ago.

4 Likes

Roblox servers are already 64 bit.

7 Likes

If that is the case, then I wonder what the roadmap entry about 64 bit servers is for, unless Lua is using 64 bit while the rest is 32 bit.

2 Likes

Running 64-bit software on a 32-bit server would require an emulator, which would definitely reduce performance, so I doubt they’ll ever do that.

@3dsboy08 was probably printing that from studio. I don’t get the same results from a live server, as seen here:

4 Likes

It’s released for mobile clients but we’re still working on the desktop counterpart.

4 Likes

The answer to both questions is “yes” as far as we know right now.

Any ETA for when it’ll be live? Really looking forward to higher resolution splashscreens and large/close textures. I’ve had to resort to splitting images into 4 pieces to reach 1080p and higher.

1 Like

Not to be a buzzkill, but it’s been planned since last year when we got access to our own private games. :stuck_out_tongue:

Roblox is phasing out 32-bit servers (I believe; just an educated guess) in favor of 64-bit Linux servers. Rejoin your game a few times and you’ll run into a 64-bit server eventually.

5 Likes

:eyes::eyes:
What would this mean for current games? Would games run far faster? Would potato PC’s struggle less? This excites me.

2 Likes

Now this is exciting!

2 Likes

Both, yes. Path finding, terrain & procedural generation, etc. Most use cases where very little processing is done will probably not have a noticeable boost obviously, but it should definitely boost intense workloads.

3 Likes

Custom materials, terrain vegetation + improved tools, and mesh detail varying on platform??? Am I dreaming?? :scream:

3 Likes