What's the best way to get started on clothing designs?

Hello there!

As the title implies, I’m wondering what would be the best way to start designing Roblox clothes.
I have created Roblox clothes before, but just simple shapes and colours; nothing too advanced.

Where would I get the textures from? What clothes are currently ‘trending’ in the Roblox community? Are there certain names I should name my pieces for enticing people to buy them? Do people like simple or more complexly structured designs?

(Keep in mind I do graphics so I know how to use the programs)

3 Likes

Im not a clothing designer, but I would say practicing and putting clothes on characters in roblox studio is the best start.

I think suits or “cute” are the trending outfits in roblox right now

1 Like

Hey Septic.

Where to start designing is entirely up to you. If you don’t know where to start, I’d think of something that I’d want to wear and try to make it myself. You can always find some reference images of t-shirt, suit, sweater, and other designs on Google (and other search engines of course) if you need some inspiration. Favorite video game, movie, and TV show characters are definitely recommended if you’re feeling adventurous.

As @DoggoTrolls suggested, you can preview your clothing in Roblox Studio free of charge. This is a great way to check whether your shading lines match, overlapping suits/shirts/pants line up, etc. All you need is at least one game (it doesn’t need to be public either). For some odd reason the website won’t let me upload screenshots at the moment, so I’ll link you a quick YouTube video for step-by-step instructions. Here is a plugin link to load in characters for testing.

As for textures, there are pre-made shading templates and materials (fabric, metal, wood, etc.). Both kinds can be found in a quick Google search (though fake PNGs can be annoying lol). If you want to learn how to shade yourself, I suggest you read this topic. It focuses on 2 editing programs, but I believe it applies generally as well. There is also an advanced template included in that post and it has really helped me.

I can’t really tell you what clothes are trending in the Roblox community lol, because I’ve been out of touch up until early May of this year. However, I can tell you that lightly shaded clothing has become more popular over the years. I can guess that light shading is easier on the eyes, but ultimately, the shading and style of your clothing are up to you as the designer. I’d browse the big, longstanding clothing groups like Kestrel or Tiger to get a better idea. I would also pay attention and observe what other players are wearing in-game and what games, movies, and TV shows are trending on social media (e.g. many people capitalize on Friday Night Funkin’).

Hope I helped. Happy creating!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to type this out! its really helpful and i really appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like