What's the PromptPurchase rate limit?

I have noticed that when I use the PromptPurchase function in a loop-like way to make a player buy free items from my game it only works for a few purchases(like 3 or 4) then it gives me the error Your purchase of [item name] failed because something went wrong. Your account has not been charged. Please try again later. this error only occurs on live servers and not during studio testing.

So I’m here asking, how can I void this error, is it a rate limit thing? If so what’s the regular purchases per minute rate to avoid this error?

Also, I have no way to detect this error because the only information Roblox gives us(I think) is if the item was purchased or not, through the wasPurchased argument of the PromptPurchaseFinished event, but I have no way to know if that was due to this error or the player canceling the purchase.

Edit 1: I have noticed the rate limit is only applied for free purchases.

1 Like

Is this for limited items?

The roblox docs doesn’t provide most this information publicly that I could find…, but they do provide the limited items rate limit which include:

"

• Users are subject to the following purchase rate limits:

• 9 successful purchases per minute per user.

• 1 purchase request every 2 seconds per item per user.

• A maximum of 3 successful purchases per user per item.

• For in-experience purchases, users must be in the experience for 60 seconds to successfully complete a purchase. "

If this doesn’t answer your question, can I know what your trying to prompt up? (I’m assuming it a limited item based on you describing the limits your hitting, but thats just a guess. Also this just might be the shared limit with :PromptPurchase() call…).

1 Like

I’m trying to prompt bundles, I’m actually using the PromptBundlePurchase call. Although the rate limits for limiteds seem to apply there as well when the bundles are free(and made by UGC creators). I don’t know if this is a bug or not.

Yea I can’t find anything for PromptBundlePurchase call and its limits. Trying to do searches leads me back here on this post, or its announcement post about it. (or other posts on how to use it, but nothing about the limits of it)

I would assume its the same, Since it can be made now by UGC creators. But I can’t find any sources that provide it’s limits other then the post I made above, just again, sounds similar to the limits your reaching now. Maybe try respecting the limits above and see if you get any errors of this “rate limit” issue without breaking the above limits (to see if there is any other limits).

I would assume it’s not a bug, as I’m sure roblox has limits on these types of calls, it’s just annoying that they aren’t clearly provided on the roblox docs or annoucement developer forum posts etc.