When editing game it is not the same as the published version?

Sorry if I phrased the title wrong, I wasn’t able to find the right wording. Now on to the problem.

Whenever I go and attempt to edit my game I get a different version from what is published. I previously had team create enabled but disabling it did not change anything.

I have been searching around for about 2-3 days now, I would appreciate some help. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and if it is please give me some suggestions on where to ask.

Thanks, Casper

4 Likes

Hey Casper! This behavior might be the result of the recently introduced ‘Saving games to Cloud’. You can find more information in the following announcement:

2 Likes

Oh, okay. How would I go by accessing the published version of the game instead of the cloud one? The announcement didn’t say a whole lot about it.

You can access the ‘version history’ page in ‘Configure this place’ to see a history of saved & published updates:

If you want to access the published version, you should use the ‘Revert to this version’ button to roll back your changes that were not yet published.

1 Like

Well here’s the thing, the published version is the version with all my work and when I go to edit the game it’s an older version and reverting to an earlier version didn’t change anything as far as I can see.

Out of curiosity, how are you entering edit mode? Via the game page, create page, or directly from studio?

Is it a game with multiple places or a game with 1 place?

I’ve tried game page, create page and in studio. And it is a game with one place.

Any suggestions? This is very frustrating, being able to see my work but not complete it.

1 Like

https://www.roblox.com/places/YOURGAMEID/update#

Does it say in this that the game has published?

1 Like

There are some published but most aren’t.

When your in studio, do you hit publish to Roblox or save to Roblox?

Cause if you hit save, it doesn’t actually update the place in servers.

That is irrelevant, it’s the fact that I have unfinished work just sitting there without me being able to do anything with it.

The version in Studio is older than the published one.
I couldn’t care less about the version in Studio, all the stuff I want is published but supposedly because of this update I am unable to access it and I am unable to find the information necessary to actually access it.

Do “Revert to Version” on the last published version (the one with the check mark). This will now have the content that was published in your latest Studio version.

1 Like

Just press Alt + P to publish the game directly to the Roblox website.

1 Like

Ahh okay, just saw it was the other way round.

If I’m correct - you publish your work and then close Studio. It updates your game (as it should) and then when you reopen it you get an older version that doesn’t have your new updates.

I had this before and it eventually resolved itself I’m pretty sure (it might be something in your place settings wasn’t actually sure what caused it with me).

Possible work arounds (I know the first will work but its more tasking, the second is more of a shot in the dark):

1. Save it to your computer and just publish to the place once your done.
  2. Roblox has a ‘Save to Roblox’ feature which I’ve never actually used to save my studio. It is described as ‘Save active document to Roblox’ possibly suggesting it might save your studio iteration.
  3. I’m pretty sure I got around all this by enabling team create but shrug I don’t remember.

I’d surf through your settings but please do reply if you find another solution cause I’d be intrigued to know.

You shouldn’t be exploiting, regardless of the purpose. Taking advantage of a system’s vulnerabilities like this will be handled accordingly if caught. It’s not a proper solution either.

You can publish your game to Roblox by going to:

File > Publish to Roblox

Or with the shortcut:

Alt+P

I get this periodically, like right now. Come to think of it, last time I published it we turned on “Team Create”. Maybe that’s a cause. will test.

I just tried turning off Team Create and removing the two other accounts from Permissions that had edit access, but to no avail.

I work on a local file and then publish to test on Roblox Player. I feel it’s better for version control. But I need access to the “Asset Manager” and DataStorage.

Normally I can just publish it to my test place and it stays a local file, but has communication with the server resources.

Currently, when I publish using either the asset manager’s Publish button or the ones in the file menu, it appears to be uploading, but then a popup appears opening the file from the server (as it would if I said “Open from Roblox”.

When it does open, it’s the older version. Which in my case is the one we used for Team Create; may be a coincidence, but maybe not?

In the past, it went away, but it’s holding up my work this time. Maybe I need to throw away a preference file somewhere?