Where can I find SFX for my game?

Hey, so I’m working on a horror game and am missing a vital part of the game, audio.

I looked through the toolbox audios for a while and none of them were any good. Does anyone know of any free (and secure) sound effect websites that I can find sound effects for ambience, door creaking, screams, light flickering, etc.? Also I know a lot of websites give the audio file in the form of .wav or something else, meaning the audio needs to be converted to a .mp3 file. Does anyone know of any free and virus free mp3 converter websites? Furthermore, I found YouTube videos that have a bunch of horror sound effects. Is there anyway to take sound effects/ambience from YouTube videos (if the creator of the video made the video for the purpose of having others use the sound effects)

2 Likes

As for converting audio files to MP3 format, there are several online converters available Here are a 2 options:

1. Online Audio Converter: This website allows you to convert audio files to various formats, including MP3. It’s free to use and doesn’t require any software installation.

2. Convertio: Convertio is another online converter that supports audio file conversion. It supports a wide range of formats, including WAV to MP3.

When it comes to using sound effects from YouTube videos, it’s important to respect copyright laws and the rights of content creators. Unless the video explicitly states that the sound effects are free to use, it’s best to assume that they are not. Instead, focus on using sound effects from reputable sources that provide clear licensing terms,the same with those ‘websites’

3 Likes

Gonna be honest, composing these sounds yourself is the option a lot of my friends took. But if you’re going to get free and secure sounds from another site, i’d recommend Pixabay as it’s the one my friends and I use.

You could, but you’d either have to screen record the audio, and remove the video part, or get a youtube subscription, download the video, and then remove the video part. Again, Composing is the best and safest option.

2 Likes

Is composing difficult? I don’t know anything about it and also can’t afford to buy any composing software. Is there free composing software which is easy to use? Or is composing like scripting/modeling, where it takes a lot of time to get the hang of it?

I had to make this beat for a science rap for school. And I used the free version of Filmora to get the song in order, and I used Chrome music lab to make the sounds. So you don’t really need a super expensive composing software to make these sounds.

There are obviously easier and more efficient ways to compose sounds, I obviously took the wackiest way.

My friend TheRealSkeledan made this beat. He didn’t use any paid software.

Composing takes time, but you have more control over the sound rather than just getting a 3 second audio recording of something from a different website.

And if you want something like a door knocking sound, just get your phone and record yourself knocking on a door. A lot of sounds can be made with basic household items.

3 Likes

We made two horror music generation engines in Audioscape.ai. They are free to use for your game during our private beta for Roblox developers.

Examples of horror music made with our generative engine:

See our post to Community Resources for more information and where to sign up.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.