Where is the best starting point for a person with no scripting experience?

Hi all.

As the title says, I am a person with 0 scripting knowledge. Things such as the Roblox Developers Hub seem useful to someone like me, however, is super disorganised for a first timer like me and makes that a bit too daunting. So I’ve come to you guys who know more than I do.

Is there a place to start to learn scripting, or anything that can help me grasp the fundamentals of scripting on Lua? If so, where in those fundamentals should I start?

EDIT: Althought there is a “Solution” as listed please feel free to contribute, as little or as much as you’d like (within DevForum rules of course) and I’ll try to reply to you if I have any questions.

3 Likes

For me it was just wondering, making some small scripts and discoverying how everything works. I was watching YouTube tutorials and that kind of stuff. Do not apptempt to start with anything big, that will make you just upset when you won’t be able to finish it. There are a lots of tutorials out there on YouTube.

1 Like

That’s the issue. I have no idea where to start because there’s just too many things to start on. I was just wondering if there was something in scripting in Lua that you HAD to learn first.

Thanks for replying anyway, and I’m glad you tried to help.

1 Like

That would probably be trying to understand variables, tables and functions. There are a lots of more things to cover, but these are the most basic ones. Then you would need also some basics of maths.

EDIT: Also the biggest part is searching for help. By that I mean looking on forums or searching on YouTube.

Good luck with your scripting tour!

1 Like

Thanks for replying! Although this was the answer I was looking for, I’m still going to leave this thread open for discussion so others can contribute too.

Hey there! For me, the hardest part when just starting out is finding things to actually script. Lua is not that good if you don’t have little tasks to test yourself with! Lucky for us, there are a few “coding challenges” here on the dev forum and other websites. The ones here on the dev forum are a bit tricky, so I would suggest looking at some external sites. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and practice a lot to hone your scripting skills! Good luck with Lua! :+1:

EDIT: Here is a link to the 5.0 version of Programming in Lua, a really helpful resource to understanding all things Lua. Programming in Lua (first edition)

Sorry for the late reply!

Wow this is some good stuff, just wondering, how much of the skills that are taught in Programming in Lua is actually transferrable into Roblox?

I would say about half. Half of what you know is about how Lua works and it’s syntax as well as all the intricacies and math involved in programming. The other half is understanding the Roblox side of Luau (the “custom” Lua version Roblox uses) with how it can be applied to Roblox and used to create games. The Roblox Developer hub has some amazing documentation on everything Luau related. All it takes is a quick search and you can find anything.

To start out, I would focus on learning normal Lua and focusing on its syntax and how it works and can manipulate data. Once you have mastered that, you can apply that to Roblox and start interacting with some Roblox functions and whatnot.

Sorry, but you should mark his as the answer, there are plenty, of other discussions already, and they all will say the same thing, watch a video most probably by AlvinBlox or even peasfactory (me lol). Those scripting videos are already structured for the fundamentals and are great hence they work for a lot of people including me so it should for you as well!

After completing all the basics, maybe some of the advanced tutorials, or even if you are impatient you can go start scripting your own project, though like @MegaBorecYT said make sure to start on a small achievable part of the project, or else you will get frustrated by not being able to achieve results.

If you have troubles with this project you can probably bet someone else has done it before so make sure to use that google search make sure to generalize the question though too specific and there won’t be any results from which you can learn, however, now you can attempt to understand other people’s code from the Lua syntax you have learned from watching the video lessons or probably from google searching again. Yeah, use that google search.

Otherwise, you can look at other free model projects and see how they work like the free model jeep. However, be aware some of the free model code has some very bad practices like the free model jeep itself just look at the activity percentage, it should be around 3% even when not in use :open_mouth: . For that you can continue reading lessons from the dev forum to help code you better and avoid bad practices.

1 Like

I’ve tried the alvinblox and peasfactory tutorials years and years ago, but forgot all of them. (I know its a bit contradictory to what I said in the title) But I’ll probably go back to them again once I get a vague understanding on what they’re talking about. Because again, I have 0 understanding. But I appreciate all of your efforts to help.

2 Likes

Nice! now I know what I’m getting into, somewhat. Thanks for replying!

Yeah same, I’ve attempted to watch the same tutorials years before but honestly never had enough patience, and well yeah gave up I remember immediately wanting to make a rocket launcher so I looked at the Roblox free model rocket launcher, and yeah nope way too advanced with remote events didn’t know where to start…

It took me 8 years before I was able to actually follow through and have fully watched/understood the tutorials. My advice is to make a learning place and just watch the code he gives do it’s the thing then maybe even modify it a little, active learning

Here’s a video example of my first learning place after watching peasfactory tutorials.

Yeah, these small accomplishments will eventually build up and are pretty satisfying to have work, Here we got:

1. Invis torso tool

2. Touch event that clones a boulder in a random velocity like a boulder trap

3. Click detector that changes color and a kill brick all in one.

Thanks for replying, I’ll be sure to take note of that and apply it accordingly.