Where should I start learning scripting?

Lately, I have been getting rather bored with composing as it’s always the same. I have always wanted to script, but I don’t know where to start. Any ideas?

5 Likes

I’m not sure which resources you’re aware of already, but I would suggest diversifying the places that you gather information from, as utilizing one outlet of information will have its limitations for how much you can learn.

Using a variety of resources will enable you to build a stronger foundation for learning while preventing bad habits from forming since it becomes easier to find a wider range of information that you can compare with other sources to make sure it’s reliable.

Here’s what I suggested in one of my guides:

10 Likes

What I did is went to ‘TheDevKing’ YouTube channel and did his basic, then advanced scripting tutorials, he’s great and will teach you quick. To practice just try working on peoples questions on the scripting support page or try to recreate games on Roblox.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll read over this! Also, I love ur channel.

3 Likes

saw a big, long reply under this post which you should probably read and take into account but I learned mainly from 3 places.

1. The DevHub (API Reference) | An AMAZING resource that I use to this day. It has a lot of useful resources and API’s which tell you how the language works? yeah that made no sense- so pretty much if you wanna know something about Lua for example UserInputService you’d look up UserInputService Roblox API and it’ll give you a long article on UserInputService and will tell you all of its uses and everything else you might need to know about it.

2. Youtube | There’s numerous scripting tutorial videos on youtube and many of them are great. Not all since some just give code without explaining it which isnt really learning, its just copying words- From youtubers I suggest watching TheDevKing who has two playlists which really helped me learn the basics before I try out any games or etc. The first playlist is called Beginner’s Roblox Scripting Tutorials (Beginner to Pro 2018) which tells you all the basics of roblox studio and scripting. After that you should watched the advanced playlist as it goes deeper into the nooks and crannies of roblox scripting. I also suggest checking out DevZoid! He has great videos about abilities and takes time to really go deep into the code and explain everything he does so it all makes sense and you really understand what you’re writing and why it works.

3. The DevForum | This will be your second best friend when it comes to scripting (first being DevHub.) Anything you can’t find on DevHub, can’t figure out by yourself, or can’t find tutorials of on Youtube you’ll find the answer to on here. The Forum has helped me soooo so much with finding solutions to my script errors and even where to begin scripting things (yes, you will get stuck on how to start a script, happens to everyone literally all the time)

4. Coffee | Not exactly a resource but it sure helps (trust me this one’s been tested before)

I wasn’t planning on writing this much but why the heck not? If me with my 2 braincells was able to learn how to script from those 3 places, I don’t doubt for a second that you can learn it too. I hope this can be of some help to you and good luck on your adventures!

6 Likes