Where to start with building vehicles in Roblox Studio?

I want to learn how to create many types of vehicles in ROBLOX(like a bike or car or plane), but where do I start learning how to do this? Would having some experience in physics or engineering help?

2 Likes

Howdy! :cowboy_hat_face:

There are some tutorials on the Developer Hub or on the forums, I guess before you make a bike or plane, maybe check out a car first then you can learn the components for the attachments and functions of it.

Nope, you can start out fresh by learning on how a car functions and moves in some tutorials or resources, everyone starts out new and learns how to do that in many days or weeks if you practice!

Link to how to to rig a car: How to Rig a Car
Here’s the link to a basic car tutorial: Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

1 Like

i think making a car would be a good start and then working your way up to bikes and planes
no you don’t need much experience in physics or engineering but just trying a plane,bike or car in other games even outside of roblox may help you getting a better idea of how they work especially planes

For planes (as well as for cars but not as much) you need to understand CFrames well. You might want to learn a bit of the physics as well to get an idea of what forces are acting so you can make it as realistic as possible.

I am a complete noob with scripting and the closest thing I study to physics is metaphysics (which is pretty unrelated) I would say I’ve worked out how to make any four wheel vehicle.

All you need to do is to put a block that will serve as the base between four wheels (makesure you don’t have this part touching the ground.
Then you need to make sure the wheels attach to the wheels attach to this base by a hinge surface (you can find this within properties).
Finally, put a “Vehicle Seat” on top of the base and make sure it is welded on (find this in the "constraints section of the model tab).
Now, you should have a basic working car. If you want to add anything to the car to make it look like an actual car, just put a part on normally, but then make sure you use a weld constraint on another part already attached to the car (apart from the wheels, obviously)

I hoped this helped!

I have a question! Do you have to anchor these parts? Or will they not be able to move if they are anchored?

The car won’t work if you anchor it (although anchoring a car is a good way to make it look like it’s been parked). Instead, it is better to use the “Weld” Constraints.

If you go into the “Model” tab, click the thing I’ve pointed to. It will then come up with some other options, and the one you want to use is “weld”. After clicking “Weld”, your mouse will turn into a tool and it will glue the next two parts you click together (provided they are touching each other).

If you’ve accidentally welded something together you don’t want to, you can find the “Weld constraint” in the explorer bar and it will be a child of the two parts you’ve welded, where you can delete the weld.

I should add a common problem is accidentally welding something to the baseplate, making it like it’s been anchored, so be careful!

Other than that, good luck with making your car, and if you run into any more problems, please let me know!

2 Likes