Why doesn't Streaming Enabled unload / Stream Out?

A game I’m helping to create has a huge, 30k by 30k map. Because of this, we’re relying on Streaming Enabled to help with the lag. However, once an area is loaded, it doesn’t seem to unload.

Here’s an in-game image of Streaming Enabled not unloading parts:

For reference, that game had a total of 250,000+ 4x4x4 stud blocks.

My Streaming Enabled settings were:

The original blog post states, “This solution not only streams parts in but also streams unnecessary parts of the game out.

However, this doesn’t seem to be happening. This is a critical component of our game, any help is appreciated!

3 Likes

You could theoretically design your own process of StreamingEnabled. Simply call :Destroy() from the client. However you’d need to create your own loading system as well.

3 Likes

What would be the most efficient method? I tried using this chunk loading system and adapting it to the map in my main post, however, while it did work, it dropped my FPS to ~10.

StreamingEnabled doesn’t stream anything out until there is an insufficient amount of memory on the client. If you really need a streaming out feature, you would need to script it yourself by locally changing the parent of parts/chunks. I would do it by setting the parent to nil and back to workspace when needed, but do your research because there are probably better options out there.

I have actually found that the client just crashes once it runs out of memory with StreamingEnabled.

Kinda weird because this post says that “Note that clients may have more than the target radius available since as the player changes location previously streamed areas are only removed if the client has insufficient memory.” Perhaps a bug report should be submitted?