Why has the asset marketplace been removed?

Some developers are very serious about their games, and when the forums are unprofessional, and filled with spam / unrelated topics, it can make a negative impact. The forums are a privilege. If the forums are being used incorrectly then of course they will probably make changes.

I don’t feel very privileged when basic functionality you would expect from a “collaboration” forum is removed for bizarre reasons. Not to sound entitled, but if a customer uses your service (in this case, Roblox development tools), is good user experience “privilege,” or a reasonable expectation in exchange for their business?

I think the real spam is probably the multitude of responses to low-quality threads explaining why they’re low-quality. If professionalism is so important, maybe there should be a rule that you shouldn’t waste time responding to junk, and instead just flag it as such, instead of every second reader feeling the compulsion to condescendingly provide “feedback.” Crappy posts were usually at the top of that subforum because of everybody feeling the need to express their opinion. The problem might not be the subforum itself, but an abundance of posters with too much free time and an inflated sense of “professionalism” and authority.

3 Likes

I think the point is that it was a terrible experience and not a good one. It looks like you have made 0 topics and 0 posts in Asset Marketplace for as long as you have been using the forum, so perhaps it’s better to trust the judgement of other posters in this topic on this one who have used that category before.

There were already rules and guidelines like that in place, but that didn’t matter anyway, people either don’t care or don’t read. We’re pretty sure this is because the design of the category is just fundamentally flawed because it was trying to fit a game asset marketplace into software that is usually meant for discussion. (Comments are too over-emphasized and there is no good way to present assets / categorize assets / search for assets, and no good way to give endorsements or ensuring that an asset is actually made by the creator.)

10 Likes

So is there any other way we can sell assets? I have no substitute place to go where I can sell items.

In your portfolio you could write if a certain asset is for sale. But do not make new posts in the portfolio category.

1 Like

No what I mean is that you have in your portfolio assets that you made that people can buy, but your not creating a whole new post. I don’t see the harm in this.

Meshes

Sold

For Sale

1 Like

Yeah but people could still use their existing portfolio for asset sales. If we can’t sell assets in portfolios, we can’t sell assets in portfolios

1 Like

Please do not sell assets in the Portfolios category. These posts will be removed. Portfolios is for offering services, not goods.

6 Likes

If this is the cause for removal, shouldn’t #collaboration:recruitment and #collaboration:portfolios be removed too? The quality there is not much better.

Any updates on this?

1 Like

The quality of #collaboration:recruitment and #collaboration:portfolios is generally much higher than Asset Marketplace (despite the occasional bad thread). As for an official announcement, I wouldn’t know that kind of thing.

1 Like

The Asset Marketplace was a pretty good resource for developers to use, I myself enjoyed it quite a lot it allowed me to sell my assets that were of no use to me at the time. I had just found out about it just as came to make a post selling a furniture pack I have created. I think I speak for a majority of developers when I say it would be great if we could have it back.

2 Likes

I understand the decision to remove it, but doing so limits how players can buy/sell stuff. Instead of just leaving recruitment and portfolios, they need to redo the collaboration section.

If the asset marketplace category is gone, does that mean we can’t sell maps anymore?

Please don’t sell assets on this forum until we hear an official announcement on what to do. Forum leadership have said multiple times that posts that are attempting to sell assets in incorrect category will be removed. At the moment we have no category to post asset sales in so it is best not to post them.

1 Like

They did announce it check your Notifications it was released as “New rules” it was annoying for me to :confused:

1 Like

I’ve talked to roblox, They basically said the asset marketplace has to many scams. That was after I got scammed on it

That’s kinda sad, I was pretty active on the asset marketplace and I didn’t really see “spam”
I saw alot of high quality models and stuff that I myself would buy. I also sold some things myself and made profit. If there are so many scammers, just make it so only members can sell. It would decrease the amount of scammers. Just add a rule to ignore junk and instantly flag it. I am really dissapointed roblox just removes a category without even saying a word while talking about proffesionalism. I thought it’s a joke at first.

This wasn’t always the case. And quality is subjective. Of course the same could be applied for the reason of removal.

That doesn’t means a full member can’t go rogue or that they can’t make “low quality”. Let me just say I don’t make what people consider “high quality”. Oh and new members are going to be like “no fair”.

You can’t flag a post for having low quality asset. That doesn’t make sense as again, it’s subjective.

Only content of the post (off topic, violates a rule, etc) should be subject to moderation.

Maybe a staff member didn’t directly but it’s pretty obvious why. Going back to the very beginning…

If you used asset marketplace, consider taking commissions instead.

Some people, (like me) find it difficult to do commissions. For me, I have the weirdest schedule due to many personal reasons. Whenever I do commissions, I always get ghosted which today I still do not know why. The asset marketplace was a place for me to sell assets in a more comfortable way. No due date, no rushing, and no rude people. You just deal with it, if you like the price/asset or not.