Why has the asset marketplace been removed?

So can a possible solution be to a enable asset marketplace for members only?

1 Like

Not sure, I have mixed feelings about the Asset Marketplace. I did get scammed by a builder who included free models, however I did make a profit by selling my own creations with it.

The increase of people selling in #collaboration:recruitment or #collaboration:portfolios is heavily increasing.

So is there any chance that the Asset Marketplace sub-category could be added once again ? Or is it gone forever now, due to it’s negative impact on the whole forum ?

Then can’t there be a place where private members can sell things, just like there is a private recruitment catagory?

1 Like

Considering that it led to a massive decrease in professionalism, I highly doubt it’s coming back in its current form.

1 Like

I just readied like 4 assets to sell. Big disappointment.

1 Like

Same, I have some pretty huge builds that I was planning on selling. This is very disappointing…

1 Like

A decrease in professionalism? What does that even mean? Is the forum operated on the basis of some quantitative measure of “professionalism” rather than what’s actually useful to the user?

Does somebody also want to explain the obsession of this majority-teenaged forum with professionalism?

3 Likes

Some developers are very serious about their games, and when the forums are unprofessional, and filled with spam / unrelated topics, it can make a negative impact. The forums are a privilege. If the forums are being used incorrectly then of course they will probably make changes.

I don’t feel very privileged when basic functionality you would expect from a “collaboration” forum is removed for bizarre reasons. Not to sound entitled, but if a customer uses your service (in this case, Roblox development tools), is good user experience “privilege,” or a reasonable expectation in exchange for their business?

I think the real spam is probably the multitude of responses to low-quality threads explaining why they’re low-quality. If professionalism is so important, maybe there should be a rule that you shouldn’t waste time responding to junk, and instead just flag it as such, instead of every second reader feeling the compulsion to condescendingly provide “feedback.” Crappy posts were usually at the top of that subforum because of everybody feeling the need to express their opinion. The problem might not be the subforum itself, but an abundance of posters with too much free time and an inflated sense of “professionalism” and authority.

3 Likes

I think the point is that it was a terrible experience and not a good one. It looks like you have made 0 topics and 0 posts in Asset Marketplace for as long as you have been using the forum, so perhaps it’s better to trust the judgement of other posters in this topic on this one who have used that category before.

There were already rules and guidelines like that in place, but that didn’t matter anyway, people either don’t care or don’t read. We’re pretty sure this is because the design of the category is just fundamentally flawed because it was trying to fit a game asset marketplace into software that is usually meant for discussion. (Comments are too over-emphasized and there is no good way to present assets / categorize assets / search for assets, and no good way to give endorsements or ensuring that an asset is actually made by the creator.)

10 Likes

So is there any other way we can sell assets? I have no substitute place to go where I can sell items.

In your portfolio you could write if a certain asset is for sale. But do not make new posts in the portfolio category.

1 Like

No what I mean is that you have in your portfolio assets that you made that people can buy, but your not creating a whole new post. I don’t see the harm in this.

Meshes

Sold

For Sale

1 Like

Yeah but people could still use their existing portfolio for asset sales. If we can’t sell assets in portfolios, we can’t sell assets in portfolios

1 Like

Please do not sell assets in the Portfolios category. These posts will be removed. Portfolios is for offering services, not goods.

6 Likes

If this is the cause for removal, shouldn’t #collaboration:recruitment and #collaboration:portfolios be removed too? The quality there is not much better.

Any updates on this?

1 Like

The quality of #collaboration:recruitment and #collaboration:portfolios is generally much higher than Asset Marketplace (despite the occasional bad thread). As for an official announcement, I wouldn’t know that kind of thing.

1 Like

The Asset Marketplace was a pretty good resource for developers to use, I myself enjoyed it quite a lot it allowed me to sell my assets that were of no use to me at the time. I had just found out about it just as came to make a post selling a furniture pack I have created. I think I speak for a majority of developers when I say it would be great if we could have it back.

2 Likes