Why is the Discussion category so strict?

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying like a child I hate the forums because of this. No, I am curious why it is such a strict rule. I have had multiple topics REMOVED just for something that can be fixed with 3 clicks. I see that it can be annoying for developers sometimes, though I don’t think topics should be removed, unlisted, locked, etc just over a wrong category, it can be fixed in 3 little clicks. Instead I’d prefer for people to say this belongs here instead of just blocking out everything. We only have 24 categories, 1 that automatically locks you topic, and about half of them not even going to the community, just a server message. Also I want to add, a lot of the community people who remove it, don’t seem to read the topic and gives a category that (at least to me) don’t at all apply to the topic, and also usually make it to where if you could change that category, it would be a system message, serving no point at all. I don’t think anyone can agree less… It can be challenging to pick from which categories are given, and you also don’t have that many to get community feedback on. And if you slip up, rather your topic took seconds or hours to make, boom, locked. I just personally think its a bit strict. I mean think if you worked hard on an essay for a project, and your instructor / teacher just ripped it in half, its a bad feeling and (not to be rude) a waste of time in that case.

Maybe read the pinned About post in each category to make sure your topic is appropriate for the category and that you have searched to check if a topic similar to what you want to post exists?

Not sure what is the issue.

If you’re talking about the bulletin board, the topics there are locked by default, because they’re not meant to be used for discussion.

Also, the moderators can do whatever they think is correct. Maybe you should reconsider and check the rules and category guidelines again?

Well, the community guidelines showed me category guidelines, that lead me a link to the home page… -Where it was hard to chose from certain categories on certain topics, and aren’t enough. That’s the point, it can be challenging to pick from which categories are given, and you also don’t have that many to get community feedback on. And if you slip up, rather your topic took seconds or hours to make, boom, locked. I just personally think its a bit strict. I mean think if you worked hard on an essay for a project, and your instructor / teacher just ripped it in half
I edited that segment in above me because I saw it as having a good point…

What type of topic were you wanting to make? What do you mean by “it was hard to chose from certain categories”?

It is not hard, just review the pinned about post for more info on what is allowed.

I mean by not enough info by your category being a specific and not having a main category. I know what you mean, though a lot of people (including me) make topics that are specific, they can be hard to chose a topic.

I’ve talked about this many times while moving around threads. Please refrain from posting in categories if you haven’t read the category guidelines or if you aren’t sure where to post. You can PM a Community Editor or Sage if you need help finding the correct category to make a post in.

The category guidelines aren’t strict, necessarily. It’s just that your post does not belong and so it was removed from the category. We can’t simply recategorise it because the thread then would not follow the expected conventions in the correct category. It’s not something that can be fixed with just three clicks as it was put in the OP, it can be fixed if you do your due part. :slight_smile:

5 Likes