Why is this even happening...?

I thought this was just a small glitch that I would only encounter once-in-a-lifetime because ROBLOX would never let something so silly happen again (LOL THAT’S FUNNY ISN’T IT). But nope! Once again I was blindsided by a bug that shouldn’t even be there in the first place.

image here

f**king hate guis.rbxmx (31.1 KB)

They’re descendants of a scrolling frame. I shouldn’t be seeing them (which is weird because one of them is hidden). I’ll make a repro if you want.

1 Like

You should always make a repro

ScrollingFrame > Frame > Button > Several Image labels > Move the frame or button below the clipping plane

Check the OP.

It’s because they’re using Rotation, which doesn’t work with the sort of clipping ROBLOX uses. Same problem ClipsDescendants has.

You’ll need to have each corner as an individual image if you want that to work. I personally recommend putting each corner into a spritesheet on one image.

These are the reasons I shed tears each time before I go to sleep.

Instead of rotating images and placing them on the corners you could use SliceCenter How to use SliceCenter (Roblox's 9-Slice GUI Property) which would clip fine easier to scale.

1 Like

This is off-topic but…

dayuuuum that’s a sexy UI. The only thing I’d change is a proper ‘X’ icon.

2 Likes

More off-topic: Making a GUI look so nice before scripting the game often leads to an abandoned project.

1 Like

Luckily for me the scripting is already done!

Thanks! I try ;D

eye candy

https://i.gyazo.com/b25755114ae33ba82bdb3872aad4fb01.mp4

1 Like

What. Do you have any sources for this. My current project has what I consider to be a pretty hot user interface (don’t mind the server and store screens, just placeholders) and we’ve been going strong for over a month on dev. http://imgur.com/1w4rT4W

2 Likes

Personal experience mostly

(Oops this is highly off-topic)

I don’t, my post was anecdotal. But over a month and the shop and server list are still placeholders? Is this irony or does the game actually work past the main GUI?

1 Like

Massive map, custom animation editer/engine, custom node networked humanoid path finding system, chainsaw animations, and a few more things. You really are quite cynical.

Cynical? That’s not the right word. Maybe skepitcal.

Visual

Visual

Interesting

Visual

I’m just a realist. I don’t talk/post much but I actively read things and am interested in a lot of projects, and I pay attention to the fate of these projects. 90% of developers on this forum have a bad case of abandonitus (myself included). I’ve deduced that when a developer spends a massive amount of time on the visual aspects of a game before actually making the game, it almost always leads to an abandoned project. Again, anecdotal, just the way I’ve seen it personally.

I see this trend even when looking through my own projects. I have a ton of random skeleton games with nice UI and stuff that I have abandoned. My only successful game, Murder Mystery, started with NO UI and terribly ugly maps. All it had was the general concept of the game scripted and it hit front page overnight like that! The game used Message objects, that’s how bad the visual level of it was. That’s all I’m saying.

Games of mine that hit front page but I first went ham on visuals:

-Grand Mall of Robloxia 1
-Grand Mall of Robloxia 2
-Roblox Tower Defense
-Blocked Out
-Paintball Testing
-Grand City of Robloxia (Top Paid)
-Grand Town of Robloxia (Top Paid)

It’s not about where you spend your time, it’s about your ability to persevere through the boring parts of development. I absolutely hate coding certain things (like the AI) but when I finally force myself to get through it I get en extra push of motivation afterwords telling me ‘hey thats one more difficult thing out of the way!’

But where are those games now? You abandoned them. One of your games has ‘testing’ in the title dude. Is that supposed to be a finish product?

And yeah part of it is persevering through boring parts, but a lot of it is also people just losing interest in the project over time, losing motivation, getting bored of it, whatever. And that usually happens when you spend a lot of time on the visuals.

For example, if it takes 10 hours on a project before you lose motivation, and you spend 10 hours on visuals…

They are finished products. Grand Mall, Blocked Out, Roblox Tower Defense, Paintball Testing have all gotten roblox reviews and youtube reviews. It’s not so much that they’re complete, just they’re finished. I wrapped them up when I realized I’ve gained so much knowledge from scripting while doing that project that it’d be a burden to work with the old code.

Also if you take 10 hours to lose motivation on a project then you obviously aren’t excited enough about it.

1 Like

Maybe we should head back to the original topic

1 Like