Why my games look bad or lame?

hi devs, sorry if i cant explain myself well im new to that forum. so i recently started making an arena game. with only animations and sounds the game lacked. so i added vfx. but it didnt made it look better. what should i add to make the game look better.

itadori moveset

sukuna moveset (second move is counter and third one is healing so i didnt showed them)

any help will be appreciated!
thanks from now

3 Likes

pls move this topic to #help-and-feedback:creations-feedback because it doesnt belong here.

First of all, I think that what you have currently DOES have potential, and looks like a lot of fun to play with! I could totally see myself enjoying the game you’re making from the videos! I especially like the camera detail you added where it is connected to the head of your character, instead of it being static. It adds more to fighting games, and more games in general should be implementing it.

That being said, I’ll see if I can try and help you out on your problem. I’m working on something similar, so I’ll tell you what I would do if I were you.

1. Add effects for hitting someone. For example, bleed effects when you dismantle someone or punch effects when you M1 someone. This will add more to the combat, and make your attacks feel more impactful. You’re already halfway there with the hit animations, too!
  2. Animate the entire rig with your attacks. I can tell here that the head is not being animated with the rest of the rig. Make the head face towards where you are attacking.
  3. Add more effects to the windup of attacks. Perhaps tweening the FoV in during the windup of a strong attack, and or even making the FoV really high when you finish using an attack. This has definitely worked for me in the past and is an easy way to make your moves feel better.
  4. Think about adding more impact when you land an attack. Camera shake or colour corrections (flashing the screen white or red when you land a strong attack) stands out to me as easy to implement options.
  5. Last thing is a bit more abstract, but just work on polish. For example fading the Dismantle slash in or out, and making the fire effect on the hands slowly fade out would definitely make the move feel and look better to use.

Overall, I do think your game has potential, and with the implementation of some of the ideas I mentioned, I reckon it can succeed!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. also i moved category. im going to fix them as soon as im available. i appreciate your thoughts and i never thought about doing something with fov. it sounds really cool. thank you again! have a good day.

Thank you!! I’m glad my feedback can help.

If you have more questions, just ask!

1 Like

what do you think about selector gui and sounds?

result of sukuna

result of itadori

do you have any other ideas ? because they are sick

1 Like

The animation and effects are impressive, but I feel the Sukuna M1’s movements could be quicker like Itadori’s. Maybe its just me idk