Wiki: Date additions to the ROBLOX engine with a brief introduction/history

Just a quickie suggestion for wiki people to add dates onto new additions on the ROBLOX engine to provide more detail. For example (I’m guessing the date for this but I remember it being 500R$)

“Users weren’t able to upload their own audio but in 2013 ROBLOX released a way for developers to upload audio to use on ROBLOX. It cost 500R$ initially to upload audio but this was later changed, see below for more details”

It would just a reference to when a certain feature was released or changed and the history of it. I recently needed to access when FilteringEnabled was released for a college report on game security.

I believe the studio team deals with the wiki, not the Web team.

If all you care about is new additions, this should suffice. If you want them to edit old features as well to show implementation date, yeah – that’s a feature for the Studio team which handles the wiki.

I’m just trying to fully understand your request. What value do you see in adding dates? In general we’re trying to move the wiki to a place where it reflects the current state of the engine and doesn’t have any legacy information.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure where to put it, I did debate web/studio but went for web.

I think that adding dates provides a bit more information and reference. In the case I just needed it in I was trying to remember when FilteringEnabled came out but couldn’t find anywhere with the information (I even searched the blog but couldn’t find it) I still don’t know so If you do please share, I’m writing a college report on security in games. of course the Wiki should always be kept up-to-date but I think a brief history/intro wouldn’t hurt. If it’s possible, hide it first so you have to click for it to be shown (if that’s possible) if not a page with a title of ‘The ROBLOX timeline’ showing which features were released when/why/how.

It’s possible to add the version a new feature was released in. Then the version number can be correlated with a date.

3 Likes

The API might not be the whole story on when a feature is enabled though. The truth is far more complicated. And again, I go back to the use of these dates. The wiki is meant as a programming and development resource, and is not intended to provide trivia or historical context.

1 Like

I agree that version numbers are virtually useless, because features are more connected to fast flags.

I think history is necessary. Not history where the only thing you can say is “how interesting”, but information that is actually helpful to the user. Part of documentation is about keeping users up to date. Merely reflecting the current state of the API does nothing to update the mental model a user has in their mind. This is why changelogs are so important. Of course, not everyone religiously checks a changelog, so its useful to put the information directly where the user will see it.

4 Likes

We might make this a thing on the new wiki.