Wind Shake: High performance wind effect for leaves and foliage

I downloaded the module, set up a localized controller and only half of the parts tagged with ‘WindShake’ actually moved properly. I bought and downloaded the plugin in hopes that I scripted something wrong and the plugin would properly do it for me, but still, no.

Is this plugin outdated or am I doing something wrong?
(This is just a screenshot of the options, when playing the game it does not work either. The preview works in the plugin window, though.)

1 Like

im not familiar with this module or plugin, but you might want to check if streaming enabled is causing issues. In 2021 when this was released, streaming enabled was not default for new baseplate, now it is.

Heads up, if anyone’s experiencing crashing in their game, it might be this module. I have a sort-of hacky custom camera tween for when a player spawns in (tween from overhead view to regular player camera view), and it was sometimes crashing. I tracked it down to the VectorMap module, in which the binary search’s while loop (on line 203 for me) was exhausting script allowed execution time each frame.

The crash was so powerful that it caused many beta tester’s pcs and developer’s studios to crash before the error could be properly logged in the Client crash logs or studio’s output.

EDIT (IMPORTANT): I’ve done some more digging and the player’s character was getting teleported away like, 25 trillion studs from the center. So yeah, the precision errors from that was probably causing the vectormap to crash the client. Though, I will say, I think that precision error should be taken into account especially when it risks hard-crashing the player.

Can support for models come, edit the pivot point of the model, to allow for grouped leaves!

Why do I have to pay $1 for the plugin?

i ran into this too, the first time studio froze but the second time i caught this error message which seems slimilar to yours

im not exactly sure how it errors since the first time i didn’t do anything in the game, but it might be related to the camerashake module by sleitnick since the second time there was a screenshake right before the crash.

the weird thing is though is that the second time nothing in the map was utilizing the module, but a consistent way to replicate the error is to teleport your character to some math.huge location

UPDATE: I think i fixed it
setting the char’s rootpart to math.huge no longer crashes my game, i simply added a magnitude check to the function

Yes this is the main issue I have faced, though it’s not boat’s fault and it’s quite unfortunate.

If only Roblox gave us more tools to manipulate the lighting….
We would be able to make it so the shadows don’t move which would be a lot better. A shame.

I have made a similar system from scratch that has been tested from the bottom up for performance.
There are two options in this resource, a server sided script, and a local script you place inside starter player

Mine is based off the same open sourced algorithm with some key differences, in addition you have the option to sway trunks as well as leaves! Not to mention there are 40 tree models half of which have been uploaded by me, so check it out!
The trunk and leaf animations go really well together!

2 Likes