With such high ping, is it worth making a game that needs reaction?

For better understanding, when I refer to ping, I mean Latency, which is defined as “the delay before a transfer of data begins following an instruction for its transfer.” Which is typically measured in milliseconds.

Many games I join, I typically have ping from 100ms-300ms. So with this in mind, is it worth creating something that would need fast reactions to counteract. An example would be trying to block or parry attacks in games such as For Honor. In this, your input is very reliant on your reaction speed to your opponent’s actions. However, having that delay in input can dramatically change how players view the game and if they want to continue playing. I know for myself, ping over 100 in games such as League of Legends can create really poor interaction.

I know many players just deal with the ping and carry on, but I was wondering if anyone has had any complaints about latency on Roblox, or ways to counteract it, such as basing actions on what happens client-side rather than server-side? Should it be considered by who’s attacking or by who’s defending? Should the priority be based on who has the higher ping to help?

4 Likes

I’d say that letting the server handle most things would probably be your best bet. For instance, using RemoteFunctions, you can set up the local of a player to not play the attack animation until the server confirms the player’s input. However, that may translate as a delay between the player pressing the attack button and the attack actually happening.
This can be combated by covering up the delay, as described here v
https://developer.roblox.com/articles/Fighting-Against-Lag

Since latency is mainly determined by the client’s connection to the server, another way to fight against lag is to just not allow players, who have too high ping, to join the game.
(e.g the way Arsenal does it)

Hope this helped :wave:

1 Like

100-300ms/1-3 seconds is too slow for your desired task.

Overall, it would cause unfair interactions, cause delays, and would make the game less smooth overall.

Read: Building Optimisation | Tips and tricks!

1 Like