Worm Rig Movement Issue - Need Assistance with IK Implementation

Hello everyone any help is appreciated!

What do you want to achieve?
I want the worm rig to move smoothly using Inverse Kinematics (IK) instead of gliding around.

What is the issue?
    The current rig is constructed with BallSocketConstraints, and I'm encountering difficulties with smooth movement. The worm tends to glide around instead of having the desired fluid motion.

What solutions have you tried so far?

I've explored using BallSocketConstraints for the rig but faced issues with smooth movement. Now, I'm looking to implement Inverse Kinematics (IK) to achieve the desired motion.

I've checked the Developer Hub but couldn't find specific guidance on transitioning from BallSocketConstraints to IK for smoother worm movement.
4 Likes

Assuming you want a snake-like movement, you could try to apply a force every few segments that alternate in direction.

2 Likes

I was mainly looking for the parts to kinda follow each other

1 Like

I would use sine waves

1 Like

Do you know how I would go about doing that

1 Like

Sure! Do you know anything about them?

1 Like

Oh, I misread you want the body to follow the head, correct?

1 Like

I do believe that they can be used to create terrain but I definitely would not know how to create worm movement

1 Like

That is what I would be going for

Okay yeah, so I would think of the worm, and the velocity at what you’re going as a triangle right? As such.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help I will be doing some more research onto this but how would I go about adding that onto the worm

1 Like

Then, based on the Velocity and the size of the worm we can get the angles based on the sides of our triangle using Law of Cosine with Side-Side-Side (SSS)

Based on that we can then find the angle (θ)

With (θ), we can rotate the joints from behind, but you can’t just rotate them based on that angle. Since a worm moves in a “follow the leader” pattern, we’ll need to split the angle accordingly, right.

2 Likes

alr I think I understand so you think I shouldent do it useing IK

1 Like

It’s possible and would be cool if you did.

2 Likes

Thats what im trying to do because I have moved the worm using this Inverse Kinematic Drag Tools Now Available! has the desired effect

1 Like