Would a VHS effect be possible?

Would a VHS overlay be possible in Roblox? I’m thinking of scanlines, blurred colors, and screen crackle.

Like this, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWdPLih50nk

Of course, making it look 100% realistic is not possible, but could something similar work? I just don’t really know where to start. Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Definitely possible. It would be a combination of various UI elements, localscripts, and potentially some post-processing effects.

The thing that I’m worried about would be the scanlines that blur everything behind them. I was thinking of maybe a thin part with the Glass material applied slowly scrolling down the camera.

That could potentially work! I would be wary with using glass/forcefield material though, as it often does not render things through it (such as transparent parts). Using ice could potentially work.

However, using an animated UI element would be a lot better (albeit more work).

1 Like

Yeah, I forgot about the Glass rendering issue. How could I get a UI element to blur things behind it?

I would recommend using a combination of the Blur and Bloom post-processing effects.

I don’t think it’s possible at this time to do that using UI, but I may be wrong.

I think my little open source projects could be of use here!

My filter module has a Vintage option, so you could set your lighting to that.

You could then alter my film grain to do the horizontal lines effect instead.

If I have time later today, I’ll give this a shot and update this reply with my results!

15 Likes