Would it be ok if I " recreate" the DevHub's TextEditorModel in my plugin?

Well, I just made a module so you can analyze a text with RichText. And I thought that before I show this module here, I could first create a plugin, in my case a TextEditorPlugin to write/overwrite text better. But there is a problem:
Unfortunately I’m not very good with GUI designs and started looking for text editors. I found that most of them were similar and since I didn’t come up with any idea, I thought:

“What if I just recreate the model from the DevHub and change a lot of it to create my own style?”

But that’s where the classic copyright comes in. Well, copyright protects everything you can touch (it’s more complex, so it should protect books, artwork, etc., but not to get too complicated I’ll say anything, you know what I mean), including the text editor. Therefore:

So can I start my plan or do I just have to create my own style directly?

P.S.: I wrote “text editor” here very often, but actually I meant this GUI where you can write your text on any forum:

(Yep, I can’t explain things very well, sorry for that)

1 Like

In-Depth Answer

You are completely fine your just recreating a similar style. Unless you take the scripts from dev forum you are clear to go.

I’m sure if you did even completely copy the style the copyright holder Roblox won’t care too much as its benefiting their platform and devs on their platform.

Also, this specific style fo text editor is not copyrighted since multiple other websites are using it. So in the end your good to go I don’t see Roblox coming after you or even copyrighting you for making something similar.

Simple Answer
Remember copyright is only enforced when the holder comes after you and Roblox will and really can’t come after you for this because 1 it’s not trademarked 2 its a general design.

Let me know if you have any extra questions. This plugin sounds really cool I can’t wait to try it out.

Regards,
Aura

1 Like

@ItzAuraX,
Wow, thanks for a detailed answer. Then I should have waited before I started to find my own style (I learned something from this: design is definitely not my thing, it’s too complicated to do something professional XD). So, then I save my current “A B O N I M A T I O N” and start copying more of the DevForum. Thanks a lot for your help. There is just one last question:
I think it is very unlikely, but I would rather know everything than just a part. What if Roblox still doesn’t want to? Do I get a warning that I should change my gui, am I punished without warning or worse, my plugin is deleted (I think it would be overkill if Roblox would delete my account…)

1 Like

Since it’s not this style is not copyrighted I can assure you that Roblox really could care less and I highly doubt you will get punished for having a similar style to this text editor.

But I wouldn’t say anything on your plugins description about it having a similar style to avoid stirring up rumor making people’s.

You see what your doing is making something inspired from another object as long as you don’t steal the scripts or trademarked icon/logos your in the clear.

(Note most the Logos used on the text editor are very generic you will be fine using most of them.)

(Note I have to double check this in the TOS but I believe all of Robloxs logos are allowed to be used in roblox games and plugins.)

I’d also like to add that you are making something that benefits the Roblox platform and since you are making a inspired design from a Roblox owned site Roblox would likely be good with this.

It would be a different story if you made this plugin for say unity but yet again this text editor is considered a highly generic design and many forums and websites share similar designs. Because it is generic it is literally impossible to file a dmca complaint because it’s such a generic design.

Let me know if you have further questions. :blush:

1 Like

Here is the key part from the TOS.

Allowable Usage. So long as you comply with these and other Roblox guidelines and with our, you may use the name “Roblox” and the Roblox logo on or with any of the following items:

1. Digital extensions/plugins for use with Roblox. Such as those available at the Chrome Web Store.

This also includes logos and designs. So your in the clear as long as it follows the TOS and as long as your plugin is not misleading.

1 Like

Really thanks for your help!

30CHARSSSSS

1 Like

No problem and may I ask what is your plugin called? I’d love to try it when it’s released.

I already have the ModuleScript, now I just need the Guis. The most difficult part is behind me. It will really work like this:

BoldButton.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function()
    Module:Parse(TextBox.Script) --Or something like this, really simple
)

That’s all I’m spoiling for.

I don’t have a fixed idea for the name, and I’m very undecided if I should make it payable (because, the ModuleScript was still so painful, I had to rack my brains) or Lite + Full Version. Well, many things remain open, as far as I’m ready, I’ll probably contact you (if I remember it, let me add it to my bookmarks). Thanks for support :smile:.

1 Like

Awesome when you do finish it feel free to contact me and don’t worry if you forget. :blush::sweat_smile:

I’ll add you and follow you on roblox.

1 Like