Audio networking, API consistency and 3d sound improvements

Sorry for the late reply, I accedentally closed the devforum tab.

This happens at a place of mine for a group, it just popped up after joining and walking around.

Can’t talk in the game but seems like everything’s working fine.

1 Like

The bug has gone away, strange…

Thanks for your time!

(For the non talking part, some circular require bug bugged it…, wops)

I use a script which constantly replays the sound and changes the pitch based on velocity: https://twitter.com/yrrebRBLX/status/758668996312981504

Hey so in my game, I remove sounds after I play them a lot. This is turning the sound off and effectively not letting it play. This also includes if the sound is inside of a brick and that brick gets destroyed, the sound will be cut off. This messed up 90% of the sounds in my game and likely any others that do what I do.

Will this be patched?

This was something that a very small number of games did and really shouldn’t ever have. I’ve intentionally changed it in the name of progress, so the idea is that any sound you hear should be directly tied to an existing Sound in the workspace (or a PlayOnRemove trigger).

So, for time being this is a won’t fix.
Can I suggest you use PlayOnRemove instead? Seems like exactly what you wanted to do.

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Sound/PlayOnRemove

Sorry, what should this sound like when correct?

That could work.

Disabling until Wednesday because of crashes likely related to:

2 Likes

They’re on again.

3 Likes

Noticed some potential problems with sounds not loading on the server, and “clicking” behaviour in cases with a lot of TimePosition/Pause/Resume usage. Let me know if you’ve run across any of these (or anything else).

1 Like

I was going insane, I don’t know why my sounds return nil when I try to play them on startergui with a localscript. I tried my best to fix the issue but my daytime was gone and I was very frustated. Yet I can’t get to fix the issue on something so simple. I use many sound instances on the PlayerGui and it used to work well. But now at this point I’m not even sure what to do next.

Paste some source?

proof1.png
As you can see in this screenshot, I use various sound instances placed in StarterGui. I have a localscript that searches the music from the name in order to play. And depending which area the player is in, the script looks for the name of the instance. I always make sure to use WaitForChild() before the function begins.

So when I join the game, everything seems to be fine, nothing is weirdly happening. The script works perfectly well.
proof4.png
When the player joins, the one that must be playing is the Tomb instance and the script prints the instances stored in the PlayerGui. And when finds a match, it prints the found name, sound id, volume, and playing.

Ok, that’s when I just join the game. And when I’m on other areas, it works excellent. But weird things start to happen when I respawn:

proof3.png

So when the script goes again fo find the music which is “Tomb”. It’s strangely undetected. And when the console prints “The music was nil”, nothing plays. Yet, it was printed in the console so why it returned nil?. This doesn’t seem to happen in Play Solo (Which seems to be fine even after respawn). But I have to remind it’s a localscript that looks for all Sound instances placed in the Player’s Gui and looks for the match.
I’m not sure if this was helpful or there was something else I should have said but that’s all that happens to me.

1 Like

So sounds within the StarterGui on reset?
Doing some dangerous sounding things here, I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

(if you can narrow down the problem to the minimal case that would be much appreciated)

Getting reports of people crashing again :frowning:

Any chance you have some specifics?

Does this thread sound at all similar to your problem?

https://forum.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=195923699

Sorry, all I got was several people telling me they have had crashes.

I destroy sounds in the Ended event although I assume that’s not crashing anymore?

It rings some bells about my issue so yeah. I can say it possibly has something in common.