Cloud Edit Beta (Multi Build Studio) Available for Beta Users

Interesting little bug I found:

Teleporting while in a cloud-edit session causes weird issues. Namely you disconnecting (it outputs that you’ve disconnected) and then after a while you ‘losing connection’ and being asked to reconnect.

1 Like

Suggestion:
Make it so the player count in Cloud edit does not add to the # Playing count. Instead add a new value on the game icon that says

# Playing
# Editing

However, limit it so only people who have edit access can see how many people are editing.

1 Like

Can you allow NBC members to join more groups?
It’s impossible to work with people effectively with the 5 group limit

5 Likes

Get BC

8 Likes

Thank you everyone for your feedback, keep it coming! I am not responding to every message but I am continuing to read this thread and put the bugs in our internal backlog (it has gotten a lot bigger since we opened the beta! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Any ETA on release?

2 Likes

Cloud edit is right where “Configure” used to be, and I’ve clicked it sooo many times trying to configure an asset. Can we do something about that so it’s not super easy to accidentally click it and open up studio?

Edit: Looks like an update went out to show you other people’s cameras. Wooo! It’d be sweet if clicking their name in the Players window moved your camera to theirs so you could see what they’re working on. Also useful if someone says “Hey look at this” so you can teleport right to them.

5 Likes

Literally can’t.

1 Like

Twas’ going so well

Every time I try to cloud edit now it just crashes me, I’ve tried the re-installing studio but no luck :cry: computer specs available on request

Believe in urselffff

2 Likes

I believe in money, and i believe that i have none

I wonder, when studio crashes in Cloud Edit, does it crash everyone or just one person?

3 Likes

Just one person most of the time

2 Likes
2 Likes

Zooming in with the mouse wheel seems a little glitchy

2 Likes

I think that scripts should be able to be edited by multiple people like google docs.

8 Likes

That’ll literally cause havoc.

I mean, it’s an interesting idea but I don’t think etherpad-style editing is going to be a good thing in the long run.

1 Like

If you’re working on a project together it can be helpful, you wouldn’t give cloud edit access to people that are not involved with your project.

1 Like

Yes, but I’ve tried to do etherpad-style editing before with multiple users, working on a serious project. It was literally havoc. To the point where I just wrote the code myself and had the other users working on different parts.

1 Like

Google-docs-esque script editing is a fantasy that doesn’t have much practical use. Programming requires you to have a good understanding of the code you’re working with – that’s why working with someone else’s code is painful at first, as you’re trying to use something you don’t understand yet. If you’re working with other people programming something and have functions and variables popping in every time you go out of your own little bubble, your brain won’t be able to keep up with them and it’s going to be extremely counterproductive. This isn’t even restricted to ROBLOX – no professional is going to develop a project like this. Any company worth their stuff uses source control (e.g. git) to integrate multiple peoples’ code in waves as opposed to using a programming equivalent of Google Docs which provides an unmanageable continuous stream of information.

To add onto that, how are you going to create something together? You don’t share the same brain and thoughts. You’ll have to be continually communicating back and forth to decide who works on what to make sure you don’t create conflictions, and you’ll have to repeatedly take the time to explain why something needs to be and how it should be made. You’ll spend more time communicating back and forth what you’re going to do than you will programming, and that’s not very productive.

Sure, google docs programming could be used to some extent to teach someone else a quick thing or two, and I imagine some other stuff as well, but all of those are niche things and not worth designing an entire google docs feature for.

1 Like