Cloud Edit Beta (Multi Build Studio) Available for Beta Users

Really great so far ! I just played with it with @Wsly. We got a crash report for you in return.

Report :
I ungrouped a large model (The lobby) that was in Workspace on my end. Wesley had a lot of parts selected in that model. When I ungrouped it, it caused a crash at Wesleys end. I was still connected to the server and able to continue the session.

Place : https://www.roblox.com/games/286636388/Deathrun-Testing-Grounds

If you want, I can send you the model ?

1 Like

Why should we see a top bar in studio? That doesn’t help for guis and such.

So you can chat with the other people editing studio with you

Are they any plans that we can start a actually play session in Studio with our collaborators ? I want to play a round of Deathrun in the server if we did all the edits, and then back to studio to tweak again :smile:

5 Likes

Oh, also, it looks like I can’t drag instances from the “Advanced Object” window into the viewport to create them now – I can only double-click them to insert.

1 Like

Just a suggestion here but I would like to see, perhaps under the players online something like “3 players editing/modifying” in a red font?

The chat gui and leaderstats make sense, but why the actual bar? Shouldn’t it at least be transparenct?

2 Likes

It looks like we’re unable to take apart unions created by other people, and if I try to union something with a union someone else made, I crash.

As8D, Semaphorism(ghostleader), and I just found out the hard way that our plugins might not play nicely with each other. All three of us had different plugins that modified the default source of a script, and all three tried to set the source. It’d be great if there was a way to distinguish who created an instance so we could program our plugins to only affect what we created. For instance, there could be a GetLastEditor method in whatever service that would enable to make sure we only modify our own instances while still being useful in other regards (making default-setting plugins compatible is kind of niche and not worth working on on its own)

If the BasePlate is unanchored and I insert the block rig from the animation editor, the BasePlate moves to the rig for some reason.

Keep getting this when trying to cloud edit a group (that I own) place that’s not the main place.

@Vorlias There is a know issue that gives that error message if you cloud edit a place that either a) doesn’t have a universe or b) is not the root place of the universe, do either of these apply to your place?

I’m going to try and write a plugin that allows users to collaborate on scripts in a similar fashion to Google Docs.

8 Likes

Yep, I was trying to edit one of the maps rather than the lobby place. :frowning:

@CloneTrooper1019 That sounds cool and I’d be interested to see it in action. One thing to consider: suppose there are 3 people in the cloud edit, and two of them start collaborating on code. If the third person does a play solo, it would be nice if they used the “last stable” version of the source (because the current state of the source, while it is being edited, probably doesn’t compile/work properly). Also, if the two collaborators aren’t working on the same thing, neither can test until both have put the code back into a compiling state.

If you have the time, it might be neat to also have a source-control like solution where each can work independently, and then when they are ready to commit it performs a 3-way text merge and allows the user to resolve conflicts.

1 Like

@FromLegoUniverse We agree, we are working on moving all of the important functionality (player list, chat) from core gui to native studio/web GUIs, the top bar will only be there until we have suitable studio replacements for those features.

3 Likes

@Velibor yes please send the model that you were ungrouping when the crash happened

@EchoReaper Yea CSG is a big kettle of fish that I still need to fry :|. It is going to take a while to work all the kinks out of that (and make sure that CSG operations don’t lag the cloud edit session too much)

2 Likes

That’s definitely a challenge, I’ll give you that.
Crowd-sourcing isn’t my cup of tea, mainly due to the fact that I have no clue what I’m doing.

Perhaps my focus should be writing an external application that makes use of github to push script changes into the Game Explorer.

As for testing code in real-time with consistent code changes… that could be tricky.
Its times like this where I wish Roblox’s code was more specifically class-orientated.

YESSSSS

It’d be cool to be able to see where other players are

1 Like